Replace Sky SR101 with what box ?

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the current thinking on suitable modem/routers to replace the creaky old SR101 ? I've extracted the ID and password using Wireshark but the number of models available is massive. I'd probably like one with VDSL for future proofing should I ever go fibre.

Big problem is the usual poor WiFi performance and I could plug in another router and just use the Sky boxas a modem but there are too many boxes in that area already. Looking for consistent and hopefully better WiFi as my broadband speed is Ok at around 10meg which is not bad for copper

Personally, I would not wonder to far from the Billion stable. As for WiFi, there are to many variables for me to recommend!

I have a Billion 7800N I think... its in the garage so i'll need to check. buts its a few years old so no harm in getting the latest dual band ADSL2+ /VDSL model. My issue isn't wifi range but inconsistencies in performance and throughput. Its all over the place sometimes. that I don't get with the LAN. From what I read the SR101 is very poor with WiFi...although the range is ok to be fair

Last edited:
The Billion 7800N will work on your ADSL2+ line, now.

Put in your extracted user name and password, should be the only difference from below-

Connect Mode ADSL (Current Main Port: ADSL)
Protocol PPPoA (RFC2364, PPP over AAL5)
VPI /VCI 0 / 38
Username ************@skydsl
Password ***************
IP Address Obtain an IP Address Automatically
Authentication Protocol Auto
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Obtain DNS Automatically Enable
Primary DNS 90.207.238.97/ Secondary DNS 90.207.238.99 /
MTU 1492

Brilliant stuff Enki... you know your Billion gear thats for sure.... many thanks.

Is it worth getting the latest dual band as there are only 3 people in the house with iPad, Macbook and iMac

Personally 7800N does us, around 14 devices, only my 4 devices are wired. The rest of the family seem cope, on the wifi;).

We get a very healthy 10meg on copper through Sky unbundled exchange so thats fine for us. WiFi is OK as I say, for range but very inconsistent performance. Sky offered a new SR101 for £29 instead of £69. I pointed out , tongue in cheek, that I'll buy another make thanks. Knowing they would say i can"t... but to be fair support woman suggested I extract ID etc and use another make. Which was a first for me...

I did say like everyone else that it cant be right to force people to use Sky modems and then charge to replace a faulty one outside of warranty. She agreed that its unfair. hence looking at alternatives. I discovered I have a 7300 not a 7800 but there are plenty for sale on ebay for £40 is so its not bad

They dropped, the must use their kit, T&Cs for Adsl lines, when they purchased BE broadband.

Still applies for VDSL.

Well you learn something every day.... thats probably why she was so open about it. You would think they would offer to tell people the ID/Password as a matter of course.

Still... thats good news. I was going to invest in an all singing all dancing ADSL and VDSL but I might as well wait and see who I end up with next for fibre. Sky SR102 is rubbish though although rumour is they are bringing out a BT Hub rival, dual band etc etc.... I wont hold my breath just yet. So the 7800n will do for now

The matter of course was the £29 they attempted to garner from you! Its cut throat home broadband pricing, I expect some kick back from ISPs, somewhere, you cannot blame the poor little darlings.

As for the VDSL and using supplied kit, it has never stopped many customers, using their own kit. I believe, its support issues and scripts with customer services. Then again Isps are not adverse to having a look to see, what their customer have connected.

I would always keep the old SR101 in case Sky do the old "Its nothing to do with us it must be the router " ploy....... Hold on a minute whilst I swap it out for you.... ;)

hi guys Im getting sky fibre unlimited next week and want to change my sky home hub 2.0 to something with a gigabit router and better wifi signal and needs to be an all in one modem/router will the Billion Bipac 7800NXL work if not whats best

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom