Replace Sky plus Fan after HDD Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dave Gray, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,
    I've just successfully upgraded my Sky Plus V2 box with a 250Gb Maxtor5A250J0 5400rpm Hard Drive, 100 Hours plus recording!!!!! :cool:
    However the fan is know on all the time, I know others have found this with HDD upgrades. I've run all the Maxtor utilities prior to install (ie AMSET etc.) to quieten the Hard Drive. The box is running very cool, probably cooler than before the upgrade. The fan was on about 50% of the time pre upgrade.
    Is there a reccommended fan to replace the original sky one with? The sky box is in my bedroom and the fan noise is driving me nuts.
    Are there any quieter fans to use and if so are they as easy to install as the hard drive was?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. :smashin:

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original hard disk in the Sky+ has heat transfer pads on the major chips to disperse the heat through a metal plate to the case.

My new disk has the chips in a different place so the pads don't contact in the right place to pass the heat through the case. As a result the Sky+ is hotter inside which is why the fan is on more often.

The case may be cooler to the touch but it will be hotter inside.