Replace sky hub, or not

STS121

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have the sky fibre/q/hub set up.

whilst it generally works decent, the WiFi can be a bit hit and miss in parts of the house. My main two TVs are plugged into the back of the Q boxes with Ethernet cables as this seems to give the most stable connection. But lots of working from home at the back of house has poor wifi coverage.

with 2 kids in the house, I’m starting to realise It would also be nice to have a bit more control over when certain devices can connect to the internet and the content that can see. I don’t particularly like sky’s broadband shield as it’s a blanket ban on what can and can’t be seen.

So, am I better off with something like the Tp link router vr900 which people on here seem to like with sky, or a mesh system that will work with sky, Deco M4 seem a popular choice.
I’m assuming both these will give better coverage, and also allow me more control over individual devices. Both different ways of doing things so is one more ideal, or better than the other?

thanks!!

I was in the same situation and actually purchased the VR900 - turned out it didn't resolve the WIFI issue. Although I will say the interface is much better on the TP link router.

I started to look more at my set up and where possible use a wired connection. I also got Sky to send me a booster which improves the signal upstairs, this is a wireless connection - I tried some powerline adapters for a wired connection but it didn't work well.

I'll eventually look at a couple of wired access points

Ok that’s interesting.

if I’d have understood a bit more about all this a few years ago before I did my house up I might have done a few things different.

I was looking towards the vr900 after positive comments on here, doesn’t seem to be that many about tho so have started looking at the vr2800 instead.
Today my wife who is working from home and my lad who is doing homeschooling we’re having bother staying connected using MS teams in my extension (I say extension it’s basically a 4x4m single room at the back of my house) one could connect but they couldn’t get it stable with both. My extension used to be my garden and in fairness even the radiators would t heat up properly after it was built without turning the CH pump up a notch so figured the sky router was probably in the same boat.

plus I do like the idea of more control over devices using something like the tp link over sky, teenage boys accessing stuff and all that...

i did use the tenda mw3 (think that’s it) before I got skyq, that worked well to say it was about the cheapest mesh system available and the control weren’t too bad either. Sky guy took it off when I had Q installed as said it would interfere so I’ve been wary of another mesh system alongside Q. The BT whole home gets good reviews but needs to work with Q. Some say yes, others struggle.

I was quite happy with the Q/sky set up until my extension. But an opportunity to have better parents controls is also driving my need for something better

The TP Link VR2800 will be a massive upgrade over the Sky router, its TP Link's best modem/router.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom