Replace or Upgrade Home Security System?

rkruz3

Novice Member
Reaction score
I installed this security system a GE or Interlogix NX-8E 20 years ago and its still working great. However I'd like to modernize and have smart phone access to monitor and turn it on or off.

Should I replace the system with a more modern DSC or Honeywell? im guess pushing $1500 for hardware. It has 17 door sensors (wireless), 2 motion (wireless), 2 heat (wired), 1 smoke (wired), 2 keypads (NX148e, wired), 2 sirens, outdoor blinking light when alarmed.

Or should/can upgrade to add self monitoring?
I found this device...a Alulu BAT-Connect that states its compatible with NX-8E using the TIP/Ring lines to interface for status and control and reports out over the ethernet to a smart phone. There is a cost but its only $8/month and about $115 to buy. This might be a reasonable cost effective solution vs system replacement to DSC or Honeywell.
Any experience with the BAT connect or other similar device?

Wow that is a lot of door sensors!! I think that a more modern panel, with some properly located PIRs and a more modern 'smart' interface maybe a much cheaper option.

17 Door sensors? Wow not even my grand mother’s old Manor House has so many external doors. Are you looking to alarm a stable block?

Before some advice can be given there should be a lot more information about the property and requirements and concerns.

Likewise with remote monitored or self monitored that could be an endless debate to which only you have the answer as to what you are comfortable with and what makes sense for your situation.

I’m always in two minds about home security and discussions. An alarm system is one part of many layers as part of a whole approach. But an important one. Likewise I often wouldn’t recommend people go at it themselves; it is too important to not get it right. All elements should work together. Often no need to go overboard on the sensor, but you got to place them in the right strategic places. And then there is the element about discussing security in public. Still doesn’t sit comfortable with me disclosing what I have in detail nor reading that others do that about what they have.

I installed this security system a GE or Interlogix NX-8E 20 years ago and its still working great. However I'd like to modernize and have smart phone access to monitor and turn it on or off.

You can try Plural Security And Alarms Services as they provide smart alarm system that is wireless and included other necessary security gadgets. And the interesting fact is, you can control the whole alarm system with your phone or tablet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom