1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace old Pinacle card to use with Dscaler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nick Cartwright, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using an old Pinacle TV card for Composite and S-Video input with Dscaler for quite a while, but I not think that the card is far too noisy and I have got to the limit of what I can achieve with it.

Basically I use it for LD and occasional Sky Sports (via a video sender!!!) so my main picture improvements will be with LD (via S-Video).

I know that Sweetspot is very good and virtually noise free, but as I probably won't use the RGB/Component inputs is there a cheaper alternative worth considering?

The Packard Bell PBTV100 has also had good reports, but would this be less prone to noise than the Pinnacle?

Is my only hope for a decent picture goign to be Sweetspot, it's slightly above my budget not w that I have just bught a new CPU/MB and Video Card! But I could always save up again!

Thanks for any advice I may get.

By the way, what does Pixel Width do in Dscaler? I know the picture improves with higher values, but are there trade-offs

Nick

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The tv100 will give 99% of the sweetspot for sky via svideo into dscaler, I couldn't see any difference except for the epg, just dont forget to adjust the chroma delay in dscaler.

Either will be a big improvement on the pinnacle card, I've tried them all.

3. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to find someone who had tried everything!!

Can you expand on what adjustment is needed to the chroma delay?

Is the improvement in noise as well as other quaility im provement, the noise is really what is my main bug bear!

Thanks

Nick

4. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I went from using various noise filters with the pinnacle to none with the flyvideo card, its a clear improvement.

6. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the PBTV card today and just set it up, it's like night and day. Less noise on LD with no filters than I got with extreme filter settings on the Pinnacle.

I'm just about to calibrate the card properly with Video Essential LD ad then I'll see how it looks then.

To say I'm please is an understatement, it's the picture I've always wanted from LD and this is without having a play around!!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! I owe you all a drink!!!!

Cheers

Nick

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Good choice :thumbsup:

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More playing around last night and further picture improvements.

It is watchable without filters on LD, ut it looks slightly b etter with a low Gradual noise setting (23 I think).

Still slight issues, but I think these are a problem with LaserDisc rather than the Card and DSCALER. I conected an old Samsug DVD player by composite and it looks amazing to say how it is connected.

I have one quite average S-video lead and a decent one, I may have to inves in a a better one from amp to PC, this may yield some improvements.

I still can't get over the difference in PQ.

Nick

9. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good choice :clap:

for the money you can't go wrong with this little card :smashin: