1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace Nad3150 with cambridge 540R - Bose 501

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by etaf, Sep 7, 2005.

1. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have a NAD 3150 Amplifier 1986 connected to a 1986 set of Acoustimass® 5 Stereo Speaker System 501 - The model with the large stallite speakers - two speakers per satalite http://www.bose.co.uk/technologies/acoustics/jewel_intro.asp

I have just purchased a FVRT200 PVR and panasonic ES20 DVDRecorder with Digital Tuner.

Now a mate said I should connect up to Hi-FI and think about getting a 6.1 AV receiver.
    It has been suggested I get a Cambridge 540R - But it has an FM/AM receiver but not DAB

Now I probably wont get extra speakers for a while so my questions are:-
    using this amp as a replacement for my NAD stereo Amp is the cambridge amp any good as a replacement for my NAD and could I connect my NAD6050C Cassette deck and Marantz SE CD player up to the 540R with the Bose speakers. Will this be better for stereo music than my current setup?

then connecting the Freeview Tuner and DVD recorder up to the 540R, will this be better then just connected via the NAD - which I have been able to do.

Q1) Is this is a good setup. or should I just use the NAD3150

Q2) Next question is If I want 5.1 or 6.1 can I use my Bose speakers and just buy some others for the back of room.
    How do a get a 5.1/6.1 single - is it broadcast on freeview - how would I get it out of the DVD player do I need special DVD recording
    any links to 5.1/6.1 systems and how they work and if I will hear any benefit from the kit i have

Q3) is it worth looking for an AMP with DAB/FM/AM ? if so what should I look for - my budget is flexible I guess as the 540R is about £250 but as cheap as possible really

sorry but I'm a real newbie to this stuff - my last outing was in 1986 when I purchased the HiFI

2. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CA 540R is a good building block towards setting up an HT system, however I cannot say if it will sound better in stereo mode than your NAD. The CA is good in stereo mode as far as HT receivers go.

How the CA will pair with Bose I am not sure, but I would rather suggest that you get other speakers. Monitor Audio, Mordaunt-Short Premiere comes to mind as it seems like you prefer satelite speakers with a sub.

3. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thanks for the info - i'll look at those speakers

I saw on another thread that the 540R will be replaced in a few weeks - so maybe i'll wait and see 1)if i can pick on old one cheap or 2) if the new one is a lot better

4. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I "upgraded" from a two channel NAD 3130 (cost about £160 new in 1987) to an £800 Denon 3803 AV amp about two years ago. The NAD was definitely the better stereo amp - more detail, better sound stage, better timing etc (although the Denon did have a "bigger" sound). I would think you're NAD would blow the Camridge Audio away in stereo.

Whilst very pleased with the Denon for surround sound, I could not live with it for stereo. Although the stereo ability of AV amps has improved greatly in recent years you need to, in my experience, spend a lot more on an AV amp to get comparable stereo performance to a straight 2 channel amp. I ended up upgrading earlier this year to an Arcam AVR300 (£1,300) which in stereo is probably the equivalent to a decent £500 two channel amp.

Oh, forgot to say, by all means audition the Bose speakers but, if it were me, I'd look at some other speakers. I get the impression that Bose trade on their strong brand name and image and are therefore overpriced in pure sound quality terms.

5. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    wow - thanks mark_f that sort of makes my mind up - i suspected this may be the case, but unable to listen - so thanks I'll keep the NAD

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85