• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replace my Yamaha DSP-A1

Calzor Suzay

I've had and used this amp for getting on 12 years now and it's never missed a beat and provided much enjoyment :)

It's used mainly for TV/film watching via xbmc (HDMI via raspberry pi), Virgin TiVo (HDMI) and an airport express (toslink) for sound via iTunes running on a PC. A DVD player (HDMI) and wii (component) are occasionally used. Speakers are all B&W 601 on a 5 setup no sub bass all bi-wired on banana plugs. The airport express I 'push' to the four speakers (non centre) at equal levels for parties etc.

I'm mainly replacing as I want to network connect the volume, scene, modes etc and by the time I've done this with A1 probably spent just over £100, you also can't beat a new toy :)

I don't want to spent a fortune maybe £250 tops so short listed the Yamaha rx-v475 & rx-v575.

Are these good amps that can replace the mighty A1 or look elsewhere?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The A1 was and still is a great sounding amp and you will not get anything even close to it in terms of sound quality for your £250 budget. Look at the rrp of the A1 and you would need to at least spend more than that to even match your current receiver and in reality would probably need to spend a fair bit more to account for inflation etc,
I feel you will be very disappointed going for any receiver at the £250 price point.

HeweyBoy101

Hi,

I would look second hand - I used to have an A1 a few years ago - a brilliant and very powerful amp. Have just picked up a second hand Arcam AVR500, which is better still, but even second hand you will need quite a bit more than £250 to at least match what you have now.

After I sold my A1 about 5 years ago I read (and believed) a review , and wasted £800 on an Onkyo 805. That was the worst mistake I made, and I wouldn't go near Onkyo again for any amount of money. Sold it at a loss of £200 within 3 weeks of purchase. So be very careful what you "upgrade" to.

Regards,
Mark

Calzor Suzay

Yeah I really splashed the cash when I originally bought it, I think I paid £1100 for it but can't afford to buy £2k+ now but want the extra features all these new kids on the block deliver.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would look to get the features you want from another device like a network streamer and keep the a1.

Calzor Suzay

I have a network streamer aka raspberry pi, xbmc & airport express, my biggest issue is remotely controlling the amp to remove the reliance on the IR remote. The amp has an rs-232 but info on whether you can control it via this and the codes are fairly scarce.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I assume you want to control it withal door shut or remotely. If so get an ir extender as this will allow the same level of control.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Roomie would be able to control many AV receivers via IP control without the need to use an RS-232 dongle. I'd personally suggest avoiding app control and consider one of Logitech's Harmony remote and their Ultimate Hub. This will work with those devices lacking RS-232 and or IP control capabilities.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom