1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace my Toshiba SD-210? DVD-R problem!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zarch, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I am having trouble playing quite a number of DVD-R's on my old Tosh. (18 months old). Although it seems fine with original dvds.

Has anyone else got problems with dvd-r and this Toshiba model?

If it is a problem with all SD-210's then I think its time to upgrade.

Luckily I should have £95 to spend at Richer sounds due to that supercare buy-back option cos my Tosh cost me £190 when new. (although I need to phone Richer to confirm this)

So the next question is what player to get next?

I want multi region, dvd-r playback, mp3 would be a bonus. I currently have no sound processor attatched but wouldnt want to limit myself in the future. ie digital outputs/5.1 etc.

Those Cyberhomes seem to get rave reviews. The entry models appear to be the ADL528 and DVD505.

Has anyone got any thoughts about Cyberhomes or any sub £100 model?

Cheers

Mick

2. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    u shouldnt have a prob with most dvdrs in that toshiba, i had one, if you use decent ritek or traxdata media, not the cheap bulkcrap or princo dvdrs.

oh and the cyberhome will give you a noticeably worse picture than the toshiba. try a 330e £80 from amazon??:smoke:

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds sell the toshiba 330 for £80 multi-region now so swap 'em and get a couple of dvd's out of the change.

Rich

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    No - I have this model and it plays DVD-Rs from JVC, Sony, Panasonic, Mirror and Verbatim fine. Perhaps it's firmware problem?

5. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    After doing some checking of mates players with some dvdr's i had created I have found the problem to be the batch of media i have been using.

I have had 3 different batches of datawrite media and the first were fine. But this middle batch i bought have been thr problem.

They skippedm jumped and hung in all my players (tosh and both PC players!). Even my mates players had problems.

Binned the remainder of that batch and opened a new pack and bingo. Works fine.

So the Toshiba sd-210 does read datawrite 4x dvd-r media written at 4 speed using my Pioneer 105 writer. hurrah!

No need to upgrade just yet. I can wait until some real bargain comes out at Richer Sounds to spend my free £95.

Have Fun