• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Replace my excellent W829

John_w100

Established Member
Looking to move my Sony 50" W829 tp my spare room. Its become too slow for the smart apps, and i tend to use Freesat which Sony dont support that well. The TV has been great so looking for something similar size or go up to 55". Any advice ?

Dodgexander

Your current TV is a mid range model, so to get a similar experience you'd be looking at replacing it with another mid range model today.

If you are looking for an upgraded experience, you'd need to use the new TV to display HDR material and consider a higher end TV as a replacement.

There's been a few recent threads in this section of the forum you may have read already, but are worth the read if you haven't. The general consensus is to wait to buy until Black Friday 2020 or later if you plan on buying a 2020 model, or if you want to buy now, trying to find a rare 2019 model at discount still. Those models are thin on the ground now, especially if you want another LCD TV.

Good starting point is the most recent best buy guide here. The opening post has some steps to take before picking out TV models:

Most of the TVs will be out of stock now, but a few here and there may still be available. If you can't find one, best wait for Black Friday or later to buy. I'll have a new guide out by then.

Regarding freesat only LG and Samsung models have integration. Others may have satellite tuners, but no Freesat software.

tvdavid

Prominent Member

John_w100

Established Member
Thanks Dodge, I am ok with waiting till Black Friday to be fair so that is a good shout. I have an LG E7 for my gaming room but want a good all rounder that I dont mind the kids messing with in the living room. The W829 has been spot on.

Dodgexander

Thanks Dodge, I am ok with waiting till Black Friday to be fair so that is a good shout. I have an LG E7 for my gaming room but want a good all rounder that I dont mind the kids messing with in the living room. The W829 has been spot on.
Will you use HDR material on the TV? What kind of content will you watch?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member

I'd go for the 55" XG95 if you can find one.

John_w100

Established Member
I did see another thread that recommended the Q80R so i'l be keeping an eye out for something similar. I may be making this up but is the T versions lesser TVs ?

Dodgexander

I did see another thread that recommended the Q80R so i'l be keeping an eye out for something similar. I may be making this up but is the T versions lesser TVs ?
TVs with an R suffix like the Q80R was a 2019 model. May be hard to find now. It is roughly equivalent to this years Q85T. Since we sit now at a time when most 2019 models have sold out, and 2020 models that replace them are still pretty expensive, the Q85T won't be close to the same value as the Q80R it replaces.

The first time I'd recommend shopping for a 2020 model would be Black Friday.

Full list of like-for-like's here:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom