1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace Mission 773's with Quad 21Ls ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AndyDD, Dec 1, 2004.

1. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    I currently have Mission 773s (Front), 77C (Centre), and 2 * 77DS (Rears). The sub is a HUGE 15" Wharfedale monster I got for free.

These I am driving with a Denon 3805.

I'd like to upgrade my speakers, but don't want to just get just something 'slightly' better. I would spend up to £800 on the fronts, and then when I have paid off the 0% finance (somewhere like hifibitz) I will change the others.
    The auto EQ setup on the amp will help with differences in sensitivities etc. but would the Quads be too different for 5.1 (films plus a few SACDs I have)? I'm hoping to get a big increase in 2 channel music.
    Also, what dipole type speakers would go with 21Ls at the front? I need rears that go flat against the wall really. Ow, and the room is fairly small @ 15' * 16'.

Would I be better off going for the something like the Kef Q7 speaker package in one go to get speakers that 'match'?

cheers for any advice.

Andy

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would be more worried about whether the Denon will do the Quad's justice. Have you thought about a separate power amp?

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Denon should be ok for the Quads, I'm running mine through a Marantz SR7400. The Quads are power hungry though, and I'm contemplating getting some monobloc power amps to help power my front stage.

The Quads are lovely speakers, well worth the purchase :).

4. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I've listened to the Quads powered by an Arcam amp and they sounded excellent.
    I guess that after I've bought my Quad 21Ls, a Quad Centre and some good dipole rears I could get something like a 2nd hand 2 channel Meridian Power Amp off ebay.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You may find that your existing Mission rears are acceptable for rear duties when watching films but not for SACD.

I had a mismatch at front and rear with an M&K front three plus a pair of Mission M7DS at the back. It sounded fine with films but not with multichannel music so I only used to listen to music in stereo.

If it were me I would look at replacing the subwoofer before the rears and power amp as that will give your system a far greater overall boost as long as you don't have paper thin walls and angry neighbours

6. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian.
    I currently only have space for 5.1 so may do the 'feedback trick' to bi-amp the fronts instead of a seperate power amp. I too have thought many times about replacing the sub. Either an MJ or Rel for £350ish.
    Neighbours are not an issue, only the small ones sleeping upstairs.

7. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If its the new wharfedale sub (the 150, I think) its a good device that has had a heap of praise in the mags. As long as you don`t expect it to go down to 10hz and you dont overdrive it, it will do very nicely. I think youd have to go up to a £500 sub to get a significant improvement - something like the award winning REL Stampede at £550. I echo the comments about having tonally mismatched rears so ask yourself how much multichannel music listening you will be doing ...........given the paucity of material available. Even with films you can tell if all the speakers are not the same. As jet planes fly over head, you`ll think theyve changed engines in mid-manouvre. Its not serious.
    Bi-amping the fronts will help. Adding a decent power amp will help much more. Ive just helped a mate out doing exactly this. In order to get better 2 channel sound he circumvented the front channels on his similarly specced Yahama and went straight into a Cyrus Smartpower (£600). The difference was incredible. plus, of course, you can upgrade a smartpower further, with a PSXR at a later date. Although I use two meridian power amps in my own system and you might be able to pick up a used 557 on Ebay, I dont think you need to go that far. Good luck

8. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the sub sounds good and you reckon you will keep it then replace them with a set of 773e's which dip a bit lower than the 773...I think the 773e is rated at 100htz...you can set the crossover frequency lower on the sub which should give you a tighter lower mid band bass.

9. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Rel Stampede from my local HiFI shop. When I asked about the Quads I was told that PMC speakers would be much better for the price. I wonder if that was because they sold PMC and not Quad :rolleyes:

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I've always found that dealers are biased towards brands that they sell. The more honest dealers have been the best dealers in my experience.

Although saying that the PMC's are great speakers, still prefer the finish to the quads though :p