Replace front speakers in Logitech X-210 surround system?

itm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Logitech X-210 2.1 PC speaker system. As the right & left speakers are quite small, I had an idea to replace them with a pair of Aiwa SX-10 bookshelf speakers from an old stereo system. The Aiwa speakers have 3.5mm jack plugs, so I bought the relevant 2-into-1 cable (stereo 3.5mm jack plug to mono 3.5mm jack sockets) and plugged it into the stereo output of subwoofer in the Logitech system. For some reason I can only get sound out of one speaker at a time.
If I manipulate the jack plug from either right or left speaker in its socket (i.e. the socket in the 2-into-1 cable) it will cause all of the audio to be output to one speaker, and cancel the output to the other speaker. Both speakers can output at full volume, but not at the same time.
The jack plug from the 2-in-1 cable has 2 black rings - exactly the same as the jack plug from the Logitech native L/R speakers (which still work fine).
Any idea why the replacement speakers will not support output on both channels at the same time?

I'm really sorry but I can't follow your connections. I suspect this is the reason why no one else has answered your post yet either.

Perhaps a diagram, some pictures or a better explanation of the connections would help.

Here's a diagram which hopefully clarifies the connections a little. The Aiwa speakers are 8 ohm (40W). I can't find the ohm rating for the original speakers anywhere. They are 10W (2 x 5W).
aiwa spkr connections.jpg

Last edited:
Just because it's the same connector doesn't mean it's wired up the same way. When you say manipulate the cable are you talking about sliding it further out so that different parts made contact with different connectors inside?

Just because it's the same connector doesn't mean it's wired up the same way. When you say manipulate the cable are you talking about sliding it further out so that different parts made contact with different connectors inside?
Just twisting the jack plugs in the sockets (while fully inserted) can cause the audio to switch from one speaker to the other

Hi,

Ok the diagram helps a bit. The subwoofer has the amp for all the speakers built into it. So as far as I can see, there is only one speaker output on the back of the subwoofer. This will be stereo.

Dealing just with the Original connections, the 3.5mm jack went from the output of the subwoofer to one speaker (lets say right speaker), and then there was another connector from that speaker (right) to the left speaker... as in a daisy chain sort of set up?
Or was there some form of splitter arrangement so the the cable from the subwoofer split to into two seperate cables one to left and one to right?

There is a splitter in the original Logitech cable - a single 3.5mm jack plug at one end, and 2 speakers hard-wired at the other two ends of the cable.

Ok I'm with you now. My guess would be the the new Stereo connector you have (the single ended stereo 3.5mm to the two left right channels) is the problem. typically on the 3.5mm jack tip is left, ring is right, and sleeve is ground. So your cable should work. When these give issues, it is normally a badly made or cheap cable out of tolerance so the tip/ring/sleeve connections don't line properly (on the 3 connector Stereo side) shorting, or only giving connection to one channel properly.

Sometimes a its not the connector or plug at all, but the shroud from the case of the socket or bezel that sticks proud preventing the plug from going in all the way. In the picture notice how the actual socket is recessed, a plug with a slightly larger diameter will not be able to seat properly on the actual socket causing the type of problem you may experience. Normally it may seem to be the Left or Right plugs (red and white) you fiddle with but the problem is usually the 3.5mm plug end.

This is all assuming your speakers are working properly and the connections are standard. @EndlessWaves does make a good point that connections many not be so this could be the cause of your problem. Still, experience shows this to be somewhat unlikely, but it is still nevertheless possible. I make sure the plug is properly connected/seated try a new/different adaptor.
1624285331772.png

Thanks for your feedback. Yes my initial thought was that the adapter cable was at fault, so I bought a new one from a different supplier (Kenable), but the problem is exactly the same.
Each speaker works fine in isolation, which suggests (to me) that the speakers and their associated jack plugs are sound. The problem arises when both are connected simultaneously.
The plugs seem to click firmly into place in the adapter cable - i.e. there doesn't seem to be an issue with loose fitting.
I'm wondering whether the system is not delivering sufficient output to drive 2 x 40W speakers (when the native speakers are rated at 10W (5W each)?

Hmm regarding power delivery in speaker systems, it doesn't actually work that way. That isn't the problem. If all the connectors and issues are not the problem I would suggest that @EndlessWaves waves is correct and the wiring is using some other configuration.

The only way to know for sure is to use a continuity tester/multimeter.

I do have a multimeter, but have no idea how to go about testing this sort of thing. Have you got any tips for what I could check?

Just to get it working, what I would do, is take apart the old speakers and desolder the wires from the drivers, then just plug the soldered ends in to the new speakers.
The speakers will still be using the crossover in the sub though which will limit the frequencies (especially bass) and possibly the power to the speakers, so my guess is the sound quality won't get that much better anyway, if at all.
Your best bet is to buy a whole new amplifier like this and run the speakers from that.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
On the multimeter, you want to connect the probes to measure resistance. Most multimeters will have 3 main sockets for the probes. One negative or common, then one for volts and resistance, the other for amps.

Set the mulitmeter dial (Most have a radial setting knob/dial but some are auto sensing) to the lowest reading for resistance this will probably be 1-100 or maybe 1-200 ohms.

with the standard wiring connection you will have left, right, ground or common on your 3.5mm jack

1624366516304.png

Both speakers will share (both be connected to ground) if the speakers are 8 ohms (though they may be 4 ohms, but that's largely irrelevant as the procedure is the same) then the multimeter probes connected to ground and left will give an 8 ohm reading , and then the probes connected between ground and right will give 8 ohms.

Probes connected between left signal and right signal will have double that, ie 16 ohms since the test signal runs all the way through the left winding to ground, and back through the right winding; so you will know that the unconnected contact is the ground in this case.

Perform this test on your Logitech speakers. Unlike the diagram above you may find the ground is actually the tip (endmost point of the plug) and not the sleeve, which tends to be the standard.

Let us know what readings you get. Speaker impeadance can be anything from 2 - 16 ohms generally, but whatever they are you will always get double the readings through right - left on your multimeter.

On the multimeter, you want to connect the probes to measure resistance. Most multimeters will have 3 main sockets for the probes. One negative or common, then one for volts and resistance, the other for amps.

Set the mulitmeter dial (Most have a radial setting knob/dial but some are auto sensing) to the lowest reading for resistance this will probably be 1-100 or maybe 1-200 ohms.

with the standard wiring connection you will have left, right, ground or common on your 3.5mm jack

View attachment 1531483
Both speakers will share (both be connected to ground) if the speakers are 8 ohms (though they may be 4 ohms, but that's largely irrelevant as the procedure is the same) then the multimeter probes connected to ground and left will give an 8 ohm reading , and then the probes connected between ground and right will give 8 ohms.

Probes connected between left signal and right signal will have double that, ie 16 ohms since the test signal runs all the way through the left winding to ground, and back through the right winding; so you will know that the unconnected contact is the ground in this case.

Perform this test on your Logitech speakers. Unlike the diagram above you may find the ground is actually the tip (endmost point of the plug) and not the sleeve, which tends to be the standard.

Let us know what readings you get. Speaker impeadance can be anything from 2 - 16 ohms generally, but whatever they are you will always get double the readings through right - left on your multimeter.
Readings for both the right and left Logitech speakers when connected to ground are pretty much the same - around 10 ohms. When right is connected to left it shows around 15 ohms.

Ok well, we can make some allowances for impedance but the connections at least appear to be standard.

Ok so lets go over the problem again. when either is connected its fine, but when both are connected only one works?

If I connect both speaker jacks to the sockets on the adapter cable all of the audio usually comes from the left channel. If I twist either of the two jack plugs in their sockets I can get the audio to come out of the right channel instead (while silencing the left channel). The right channel does sound a little quieter than the left channel. If I twist it again it will revert to left channel only.
I am never able to get sound from both channels at the same time - it's either left or right.

When you connect the adapter you have bought to both speakers, do you get the same readings when you run the same tests on your multimeter.

When you connect the adapter you have bought to both speakers, do you get the same readings when you run the same tests on your multimeter.
I get similar readings from the adapter cable with the Aiwa speakers connected - 9 ohms for each channel when connected to ground, and about 18 ohms when right and left channels are connected

I see, which is what I would expect. Unfortunately this would appear to be one of those problems requiring hands on presence to resolve since based on the information you have provided I can't seen an issue.

A bit of a strange development yesterday: the volume from the speakers (both Logitech and original) has reduced quite alot - I need to turn up the volume to max to get "normal" volume. Is there any way that I could have damaged the speakers while testing them?

...hmmm...even stranger....there are sounds coming from both speakers, but if I reduce the left channel level (from Device properties in Windows) the sound gets reduced from both speakers. So if I reduce the left channel audio level to zero I get complete silence.
????

It's certainly possible if the connector has shorted or damaged the output from the amplifiers in the base unit. personally I think the problem is/are with your adaptors. It is unlikely to be anything else. The other problem could be that the new speakers your using aren't working properly. Are you sure they were working properly in the firs place?

I just power cycled the Logitech base unit (subwoofer) and disconnected/reconnected the audio cable connecting it to the PC. It is now completely dead (i.e. not producing any audio output at all).
So either the base unit was on the way out, or maybe I damaged it by connecting the Aiwa speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom