Replace fluorescent with LED tubing

Berties

Banned
I'm considering replacing the 8' fluorescent light in the kitchen for LED, I know these are more expensive to buy but because it's switched on and off repeatedly, and probably use less power the lifespan will be far greater. Any recommendations for LED tube lights? Will need to equal 100W fluorescent tube in light output and diffused light

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
I replaced 7 x 50W G10 downlighters with the "equivalent" LED and they are woefully dark in comparison. LED's have some way to go before they can do the job of the usual Energy CFL or incandescent bulbs.

Berties

Banned
Dunno about that got a Hope Vision 4 for bike, although that's about 1000 lumens. I've got some Aldi Dioder they're good for undercabinet lighting but of course not enough for room lighting. I would think dozens of Cree 1W along a strip should be plenty bright.

Regarding the LED 4 LED's are bright as car headlight. So I think LED has progressed far enough to replace standard light sources, I would think a strip of LED those in the Hopes would be insanely bright (and able to dim also)

Last edited:

liveforav

Problem i've found with leds is the spread of light. A usual bulb, or tube etc gives a really good spread, but i replaced one of my kitchen spots as a test with leds a while back and it only took me a few days to swap it back. Could see really great directly below, but bad as soon as you step out of the beam.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Dunno about that got a Hope Vision 4 for bike, although that's about 1000 lumens. I've got some Aldi Dioder they're good for undercabinet lighting but of course not enough for room lighting. I would think dozens of Cree 1W along a strip should be plenty bright.

Regarding the LED 4 LED's are bright as car headlight. So I think LED has progressed far enough to replace standard light sources, I would think a strip of LED those in the Hopes would be insanely bright (and able to dim also)
as it appears that you know the solution then go for it , oh and before i forget , report back with the truth , not your version of it :rotfl:

IronGiant

Dunno about that got a Hope Vision 4 for bike, although that's about 1000 lumens.
So you can buy an LED for nearly £300 that produces about as much light as a 60W halogen bulb. Bargain :)

Last edited:

Berties

Banned
but how large a battery will you need to carry to power a 60W light bulb? (bicycles) to same amount of run time on LED? Halogens are inefficient, losing most of the stored energy as heat, not light. A 5W+10W halogen is far lower in light output than 1000 lumen LED (Hope Vision 4) Also they blow often, have replaced halogens in my bike light twice. Very prone to failure if it's cold then switched on.

No way is 10W+15W halogen (12v overvolted to 14.4v) as bright as Hope Vision 4.

Don't confuse the LED's in Aldi for £5.99 with those of 800+ lumens. and if you think Hope Vision 4 is expensive, look up Lupine Betty.

Quick search gets this

Lightbulb Plc - 36w Led Tube Light To Replace T12 8ft 100w (240cm) Fluorescent Tube Lamp - Daylight White Clear: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

as it appears that you know the solution then go for it , oh and before i forget , report back with the truth , not your version of it
Yawn.

Also about the spread of light, that's what diffusers are for.

Hoping can find replacement for tubes..

Last edited:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
glad i didnt waste any bait on the hook , you took it bare :laugh: , lighten up man , i am playing wit ya :facepalm:

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
thing is why spend so much on led? flourescents are reasonably good with energy anyway.

or change it for a spot light bar and fit that with energy saver lamps?

ive never seen a led replacement for a flourescent fitting before.

why not replace your 8' fitting wit something smaller? like a 5ft twin fitting or something like that?

im also surprised how the led would work considering the fitting has a ballast/switch starter which produce high voltage to strike the tube.

must look horrific with a 8fter stuck on the ceiling?

Berties

Banned
The LED tubes are a direct replacement for standard tubes, you remove the ballast and the high voltage starter.

8' looks fine.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
oh i see, so then you just have to re-wire the end caps i take it? because obviously they are previously wired off of the ballast/starter.

due you have to remove the power correction capacitor as well?

anyway sounds like a huge ball ache to me. but each to their own mate! can you put up some pics of it when your done? as a spark im intrigued :)

Neil F Holland

Standard Member
I found LED spots to be shocking. As mentioned above they are too focused also the light they give is too pure to the extent that it's blue. Our kitchen with 14 spots felt dark and cold.

Switched back...

Now considering the fluorescents that pop into the spot lamp holders.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
i takeit you have gu10 fittings neil? the energy saver lamps are quite good, we fit them a lot to get the energy values of houses up!

they lack the warm feeling of a halogen spot but are tons cheaper to run. and stop so much wear on the fitting due to the heat of the lamp. win win :)

led spots are terrible, ive installed them in a new build where the owner was adamant having them in his gym, there were 20 i think, and it was like a spot where youd step into to do a monologue to an audience under each one!

needless to say they were changed for gu10 (mains voltage) energy savers and were much much better

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
geez that is bright!!!!!

a bit like my led rechargeable torch actually, its great, really bright and charges off a cigarette lighter

Berties

Banned
yeah LED's have come a long way since the low level LED's on TV fascias lol. They're insanely bright. So I believe banks of LED's will be sufficient for home lighting. If they're directional then just needs a diffuser.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
you'll be surprised how much use there is for led's nowadays, their just not quite there for general lighting YET. watch this space, led is the future

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton