Replace ear pads on HD580 Precision headphones

HMHB

Distinguished Member
My trusty old Sennheiser HD580 headphones are in need of some attention, the ear pads are badly worn and so is the headband padding. I mainly use these headphones connected to my synthesizers and they get a lot of use...

Does anyone have experience of replacing the ear pads and maybe the headband padding? I have found them for sale on Amazon and they aren't cheap so don't want to buy them if it's going to be beyond my skillset :)

Thanks

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Cheers for that, I should have searched before posting :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I was looking at maybe buying a new similar pair to these, am I right in thinking the HD600 is the nearest to the 580s? I've been looking at the 600 and 650 headphones.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Yes. Read and absorb every word of this article. Accompanied by a helpful disassembly video too

There is also

Note a couple of years ago, production of the HD600 / HD650 moved from Ireland to Romania. There were reports of inconsistent housing very slightly affecting the treble on the HD650 Romania but that seems to have been fixed as presumably the Romania factory gained experience to achieve manufacturing consistency. Swapping used pads for new pads will have the most significant impact on maintaining sound quality of course over anything else

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Just as an update, I replaced the ear pads a couple of weeks ago and the difference in sound quality is very noticable :) I've also noticed that they feel more tight clamping but then when I looked at the old pads I could see why - they were almost flat and virtually useless which is expected really. I've never changed the ear pads on these and I probably bought them about 20 years ago.

Anyway. thanks for your help with this :)

Steven

Senior Moderator
Good to hear. This is the bonus with the HDXXX series. One can purchase all the spare parts for 15/20 year old models and basically assemble your own headphone :cool:Plus one to Sennheiser

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom