Replace Denon AVRX2000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Haizum74, Jul 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    As the title suggests, I am looking to replace my Denon and wondered what folk may suggest.

I am running the Q Acoustic 2000i 5.1 Speaker Package in a high ceiling room and the Denon just seems a tad low on volume to the point I am having to increase speaker dB to max in settings just to get some volume at around 45 on the volume control (Audessey calibration)

Im not too bothered about any fancy bells and whistles, as long as I can connect it to the net, rename inputs and allow 3D too and of course have a bit more oomph.

2. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    If you are not bothered about some of the newer features then you can get a slightly older model for a much lower price. With the speakers you have I would not be looking at receivers above the £1000 level but some of these will be around £500 now.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    Your explanation in relation to volume doesn't make any sense. Every AV receiver is calibrated to the exact same reference level so two entirely different receivers would result in exactly the same volume level relative to 0 db as measured from the promary listening position. If you had to increase the levels because you didn't think the receiver loud enough then you'd have to do this with whatever receiver you have. Simply increase the master volume if you want louder audio and do not alter the levels. A different receiver would be no louder than your current receiver in relation to the exact same master volume level.

The absolute volume of 45 you make reference to is far from the highest volume setting the receiver can attain. It is generally better to use the relative scale as opposed to the absolute scale when dealing with the volume and this will give you a better idea of just how loud the receiver is. I'd suggest you go into the settings and change to scale to the relative option as opposed to using the absolute. In an average sized room a relative 45 would be far from the relative 0 db to which the receiver is calibrated and 0 db equates to 85 db as measured from the primary listening position.

You do not adjust the receiver volume via the levels, you use the mast volume to do this. You don't need a more powerful receiver, you simply need to turn the master volume up.

4. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    My onkyo sounded much louder at the same 'level'. I am having to turn the master volume up near full to get any decent volume. I am aware I dont adjust the speaker level volumes to increase sound, hence the master volume BUT I am having to just to get some volume at lower levels. Either that or I need to get my ears tested.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    If your Onkyo receiver sounds louder at the same level then it or the DEnon are incorrectly calibrated. There's no master volume stop on modern receivers so what are you defining as full volume? If set to the same master volume then both will result in the exact same SPL as measured from the same location in your room.

6. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    They were both calibrated the same way. Full volume on the Denon is 98 from 0 as a scale. Just switched to dB and at 50 on the Denon its now showing -30dB so now I can see why. :)

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    So there isn't the issue with volume you thought you had. Simply turn up the master volume if the volume isn't as loud as you'd like it to be. You do not need a new receiver. The 0 to 90 absolute scale is not comparable to the scale on the Onkyo. The only scale that would result in both receivers exhibiting the same volume levels at the same setting would be the 0db relative scale. The -30db volume is well below the 0db to which the receiver was calibrated to. Turn the volume up to 0db and listen for any distortion. If you hear distortion then you'd need a more powerful receiver to power your speakers to reference level as measured from your primary listening position. All correctly calibrated receivers should give you an SPL of 85db or thereabouts at the 0db relative volume as measured from your primary listening position.

Note that volumes in excess of 90db can cause hearing damage so I'd not recommend playing audio at levels that mich greater than the 0db (85db) relative level. If you are indeed having issues hearing audio at this level then yes, go get your hearing tested or seek medical advice.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  8. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Cheers, I always thought ref level was 75dB? I was joking about the ears.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    Reference level is 85db, but some receivers calibrate to 75db.

10. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Hi Dante,
    So if you were using a spl metre and turned your amp to 0 level what would I set the speaker level? 75db or 85db on a Yamaha receiver .
    Thank you for any help.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    I'd suggest you aim for 85db if manually calibrating an AV receiver. After saying this, it is actually more important that you equalise the levels as opposed to you attaining the reference level. Most people will hardly ever actually play anything at reference level so attaining it isn't essential in all instances and only relevant if you intend playing audio at reference level. It also auds others in discussions such as this if the receiver is calibrated to reference level.

12. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Hi Dante
    So if all my speakers are at 80db at 0db on the receiver is this ok, or should calibrate them to 85db.

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,241
    80db should be fine. You can turn the master volume up higher than 0db if you need or want to anyway. The receiver doesn't limit the highest setting to 0db although there is an option that would prevent the master volume going higher than 0db within the settings.

14. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Thanks Dante, appreciate your info.