replace bust cd writer with dvd burner

T

THOWD FELLA

My Yamaha cd writer is caput and I would like to replace it with a DVD burner. Can anyone tell me if the power supply socket and interface socket would be the same, and is there any setting up I would have to do. If its a straight one out one in I can do it but anything more complicated would be beyond me.
Reading other forums it looks like the sony is a good one, any advice would be appreciated.

james.miller

nopw, its a straight swap. all you may have to do is get hold of the newest version of your cd/dvd writing software (something like nero 6).

The best two right now (arguable) are the NEC 2500a and the pioneer A-07. I bought the nec a few days ago and i am mightly impressed with it.

MarkE19

I replaced my old drive with a new DVD writer just before Christmas, and yes it is a straight cable swap between the 2 drives. The only thing to watch out for is the jumper to make the drive primary or slave, but that will be just a simple change of a jumper that should be clearly labelled on both the drives.
Then it will be down to the software!

Mark.

T

THOWD FELLA

Many thanks for the repies. As it would be the only dvd in the computer other than a cd reader does that make it a primary?
Secondly, Mark where did you get your nec2500c, and can it cope with DVD -ram and -r as I fancy getting the new panasonic e95 when it appears.

probedb

Banned
If you're doing a straight replace, then check to see if your current writer is master or slave and make the DVD burner the same.

It should ideally be master on whatever IDE channel it's on.

InsertNameHere

Hi

I've just got myself a Pioneer A07XLA a few days ago. I've only burnt one DVD so far so I can't say too much about it although it certainly seems well built and is very quiet in operation. The NEC 2500A is supposed to have the best writing quality but has trouble reading discs - even with ones its written!

If you're still in doubt, head over to these two sites, read some of the reviews (and feedback) and see what best fits your needs:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/
http://www.cdr-info.com/

Regarding the NEC though, the cheapest I've seen it is here for £59.98:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hardware_Section__.html

This is where I bought my drive from.

Also, like people said, it would just be a case of swapping it with your old drive - cables stay the same although you'll have to set the jumper at the back of the new drive to either: 'Master', 'Slave' or 'Cable Select' depending on what it was before.

Hope thats helps anyway,

Alex

T

THOWD FELLA

Very grateful for those replies. As I said I am going to buy a panny hd recorder and these are -ram. Reading the dvd forum, lots of people put their discs in their computer to get rid of adverts and so it makes sense to me to try to find a -ram burner for my computer. What is somewhat confusing is that -ram is notoriously incompatable with other drives so how can they read them in their computers. Am I making sense?

MarkE19

Many of the newer DVD writers can at least read, if not write to RAM. One such 'read only' drive is the Pioneer A07/107 available for under £100. then you have the read & write to everything with the likes of the 'Iomega Super DVD Writer' at around £160.

I don't own a standalone DVD recorder so have never needed RAM etc, but I believe that many who do own them record from TV etc to RAM, edit out adverts on the PC and then write the final prog to a +/-R disk for long term storage and then reuse the RAM. This is because the RAM disks are a lot more expensive than the +/-R's

Mark.

T

THOWD FELLA

Great Having a forum and getting your questions answered. Thanks everyone, I've ordered a 107 locally.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom