Replace BT Smart Hub 2

matthewgordon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a customer of BT and use BT Smart Hub 2 with 5 BT complete WiFi black discs in my house. I have always suffered from WIFI dropouts and very low speeds. Watching iPlayer or Netflix can be very difficult on some days and I get very low speed tests results anywhere other than next to the Smart Hub.

I would like to change my BT Smart Hub 2 to a new router and then have further router throughout the house.

I was thinking of using the Asus RT ac68U 1900 for the nodes.

To replace the current BT Smart Hub 2 router, I was thinking to use the ASUS DSL ac68U.

Is this correct? Or am I barking up the wrong tree :)

Thanks

Last edited:
What speed are you getting on a hardwired device to your BT Homehub?
What kind of property (age / construction) do you live in?
This information is important.

To replace the current BT Smart Hub 2 router, I was thinking to use the ASUS DSL ac68U.
Nooooooooo, stay away from the DSL-AC68U. Its uses the notorius Mediatek DSL chipset which is almost guaranteed to cause regular dropouts on your dsl line. The only combined Asus modem/router i would recommend is the DSL-AC88U which uses a Broadcom dsl chipset.

What speed are you getting on a hardwired device to your BT Homehub?
What kind of property (age / construction) do you live in?
This information is important.

I get 45Mbps if wired. Then 7Mbps on WIFI by the router using the same laptop as the wired connection. . The WIFI can vary between 5Mbps and 30Mbps on speed tests over the past week.

In some rooms in the house which have the Whole home discs WIFI is down to 0.5-2Mpbs on average.

The house is an old dairy farm conversion, big thick walls 😁

Last edited:
Nooooooooo, stay away from the DSL-AC68U. Its uses the notorius Mediatek DSL chipset which is almost guaranteed to cause regular dropouts on your dsl line. The only combined Asus modem/router i would recommend is the DSL-AC88U which uses a Broadcom dsl chipset.

Do you know much about the DSL-AC86U?

Do you know much about the DSL-AC86U?
There's no such Asus DSL-AC86U model, unless you meant RT-AC86U? In which case, its a very good router but its a standalone router with no modem built-in. Otherwise if you're looking for an Asus combined modem/router, then go for the DSL-AC88U, as I suggested earlier.

Update, I purchased 2 x Asus RT-AC68U 1900 and setup AiMesh. It works a treat and I get much improved speeds where I have coverage.

Currently the primary AiMesh router is connected wired to my BT Smart Hub. Is there a way to connect it wirelessly? I could then move it away from the BT Smart Hub and give further coverage.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom