Replace bayer dt770 with???

• Thread starter Deleted member 323322
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 323322

Hi all,

Im thinking of upgrading my dt770 80ohm

I kinda need closed back,

Is there anything worth up grading or should i go for open back? Problem i have is i listen in bed

I use my lg g7 into a schiit amp

Cheers jake

Hi all,

little help if possible

i have an lg g7 which has the built in dac, i currently use it with a schiit magni3 with my dt770 80ohm
ive just bought some dt990 not here yet but wondering if they will run them?

also is there a better power supply for the amp as i do get a hiss

i also have a modi, but i cant get the 3.5jack out from the phone to connect to the modi,

im due a new phone but as i use the lg for music im so hesitant to use something else.

Sorry Jake cant help you with this one.

Hi all,

little help if possible

i have an lg g7 which has the built in dac, i currently use it with a schiit magni3 with my dt770 80ohm
ive just bought some dt990 not here yet but wondering if they will run them?

also is there a better power supply for the amp as i do get a hiss

i also have a modi, but i cant get the 3.5jack out from the phone to connect to the modi,

im due a new phone but as i use the lg for music im so hesitant to use something else.
Moderators could you please move this into the general Headphone section as the op should have more response there . Thanks

sorry should of clarified im aso tempted by ifi amp/dac combo if it would be a better option

sorry should of clarified im aso tempted by ifi amp/dac combo if it would be a better option
Hi. Dont you like your present setup. Sound is another thing and is quite a personal thing what one person likes is maybe not to another liking you should audition some equipment I know that is not easy to do but if I am not mistaken Richer sounds are selling some of the iFi products so you could take your headphones along and some of your own music and ask them if it would be possible to have a listen. I had Schiit units before and didn't audition any of the iFi stuff but I followed reviews which is not always the best thing to do but I went ahead and bought my iFi units and have no regrets. I have since sold all my Schiit that had been replaced. Regarding running your headphones the Zen Dac has a power match button and here is the iFi headphone calculator enter your headphones and the iFi unit you are looking at and it will give you the results to show how they will perform. Hope this helps.
Headphone Calculator - iFi audio

yeah i looked at that calculator as i went through the thread, but it kinda went over my head haha

ihave no real issuses with the schiit stuff, but its quite noisy in terms of silence hiss.

Ive also joined the club, quick listen and they do seem quite good, ill need to adjust to them

Funnily enough my lg g7 plays these in quad dac mode quite well now i just spent £190 on an ifi amp🤦🏻‍♀️

20211012_124630.jpg

So spent a few hrs last night listening to the audio techincas last night, my initial thoughts compared to the dt770

They almost feel toy like in comparison to the beyers, very light, almost cheap feeling.

The gimble creaks but you dont really hear it when on the head.

The supplied wire is cheap and nasty, quiet short too.

Theres less ear room in the cup, my ears touch.

Sound wise a tad less bass than the 770, mids feel more up front, there seems to be a certain frequency that gets very siblant, but over all not as bright as the 770.

Overall happy with them, need to get used to the feel of them as there so far away from what the beyers are, which ive worn for a good few yrs now,

The ifi zen can should be here today.

So spent a few hrs last night listening to the audio techincas last night, my initial thoughts compared to the dt770

They almost feel toy like in comparison to the beyers, very light, almost cheap feeling.

Sound wise a tad less bass than the 770, mids feel more up front, there seems to be a certain frequency that gets very siblant, but over all not as bright as the 770.

Overall happy with them, need to get used to the feel of them as there so far away from what the beyers are, which ive worn for a good few yrs now,

They look great my other AT,s are the same colour they are the same number but with GM on the end bought them thinking they were the same as yours but they were the previous model so then I had to buy the blue ones so now I have one balanced pair and one not balanced the unbalanced are okay for devices without the balanced option.Enjoy them you will get used to the sound contrary to what others say I leave them playing for a day or two on loop and to me the sound does improve but that Is only my opinion but it works for me

thanks,

there a good sounding headphone for sure, its just an adjustment period, like loosing your favorite pair of shoes lol

im keen to see if the ifi does anything, and in the process of getting cables made too :)

I had same thoughts, in that they feel so light like a toy pair especially compared to my philips x2hr's, but they certainly dont sound like a toy pair.

Have you had a bit more time trying the zen can now?

Yeah,

Its on 6bd this allows me to have volume on about 50%

Its well made, heavier than the schiit it replaced,

The bass boost button is good also, adds some punch. But ive been using it off.

They do have great clarity

Just wish the ear cups were a tad bigger

How does the iFi ZEN CAN compare to the Schiit Magni?.....

....and what difference do you find using your headphones with the 'Balanced' and 'Unbalanced' option?....I ask this as I know nothing about the Balanced v Unbalanced options for headphones, cheers.

Last edited:
The ifi has a cleaner energy source, the schiit would have an hiss with no sound playing.

The schiit is a very capable amp, the zen can is heavier and feels better made but theres also a £60 odd difference in price. Ive no doubt with a better power source and no need for balanced id of happily kept the schiit

I believe balanced just gives more power to the driver, but these are only 35ohms so not very power hungry, its not really a noticeable difference. I will try my dt770 with the amp also

My source is an lg g7 with quad dac, this dac is highly rated so the amp just ads to it, it feels fuller than just using the phone, but both would give volumes to make ears bleed.

Amp also has 3 inputs which are switchable, which is handy for some,

Having spent more time with the audio techinca they are a good little headphone, i like the beyer high treble, so for me these are just as bright, with more forward facing mids, sound stage last night felt wierdly wider than the dt770 but that may have just been the song itself.

My only gripe is that the ear pads are pleather and a tad small. Ive not got the biggest ears.

I did buy some dt990 to try but been 3 weeks now and still not come so think a paypal dispute will be going in to ebay for those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after a long listen last night im still not 100% on these. The sound is great but i find them quite uncomfortable

Decided to put the audio techincas up for sale, just not a fan of the fit, i prefer the beyers.

Decided to put the audio techincas up for sale, just not a fan of the fit, i prefer the beyers.
Thats a shame. But if they aren't comfortable then there's no point keeping them.

I agree with the above what one person likes is definitely not what everyone likes or life would be quite boring and you shouldn’t be influenced totally by the masses. I have bought things in the past following what others have said only to quickly return them as they didn’t live up to my expectations.I hope that you find something that meets your needs i am sure you will. Enjoy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom