• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replace B&W with SVS?

rommi

I have a pair of 601 S2 connected to an Onkyo 674.

I need the centre and rears to make the 5.0 :)

I am thinking of ditching the 2 x 601s2 (for upstairs music) and putting a set of those SVS speakers in instead.

Will I regret this? Mostly for gaming tbh, odd film, odd bit of music.

I am not sure I am driving the B&W properly with the Onkyo anyways.

Thoughts?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I demo'd the 603 S2 fairly recently and they weren't a patch on the SVS, IMO.

But without a sub they're a waste of time.

Matched to a £400 SVS PB10 or BK monolith, they'll blow your socks off.

I don't understand why you want 5.0, TBH :confused:

Cable Monkey

I don't understand why you want 5.0, TBH :confused:

"Mostly gaming..."

I am not sure anyone can claim an SVS speaker is better than a B&W 600 series speaker. Different maybe, and probably better suited to home cinema, but better?:) I would say it is down to taste, but I suppose selling the B&W's to subsidise a complete SVS 5.0 setup might be a practical plan too.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
"Mostly gaming..."

I am not sure anyone can claim an SVS speaker is better than a B&W 600 series speaker. Different maybe, and probably better suited to home cinema, but better?:) I would say it is down to taste, but I suppose selling the B&W's to subsidise a complete SVS 5.0 setup might be a practical plan too.

"Mostly gaming..."

So games don't use LFE? I'm surprised :confused:

With a sub, the SVS P all over the 600 series, no contest, IMO.

I did say that the SVS are wasted without a sub ;)

Cable Monkey

Well his setup is upstairs and that may mean levels have to be kept respectable. TBH my comments are speculative. I have heard the 601's, not heard the SVS stuff, just gone by comments made here and my stereo typical attitude towards B&W which tends to be positive.

rommi

The 5.0 is temporary. Until I can afford the 0.1 :)
(And we see the results of the group test in the subwoofer section)

The other thing is, the SVS seem smaller so I can mount the rears with less effect on the lounge asthetics. Keeping the Mrs happy is a major component of any Home Theatre project seemingly LOL

The B&W are superbly built bits of kit, and dropping them for something "less expensive" seems like madness, but I can't ignore the frothing mouths of forum SVS owners who would as soon as make love to their SVS speakers they like them so much.

I'll take the opinion of the forumites over a spiv or snotty teenager in a AV shop any day. :clap:

badbob

Banned
B&W speakers are overrated tbh. So I wouldn't be suprised a lesser named brand with higher quality components are better.

MIB

The SVS are superb - don't be fooled by the low price tag they are quality:) The styling is simple but I think effective with the right setup - so I think they've spent the money where it really counts.

I've had to spend a significant amount more on PMC and M&K to gain a good improvement over the SVS. The SVS are a nice balance as they are very good with movies and still OK for music, better than M&K Xenons IMO for music, but can't match them for movie detail.

I agree that to get the best you really need a sub. I started off with a Mordaunt Short MS309 for £135 which was pretty good for the money but then upgraded to the SB12+ which is a good impovement:smashin:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Well his setup is upstairs and that may mean levels have to be kept respectable. TBH my comments are speculative. I have heard the 601's, not heard the SVS stuff, just gone by comments made here and my stereo typical attitude towards B&W which tends to be positive.

You really should have a listen to them mate.

If you fancy a trip over to Erdington sometime, PM me, no problem :smashin:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
The 5.0 is temporary. Until I can afford the 0.1 :)
(And we see the results of the group test in the subwoofer section)

The other thing is, the SVS seem smaller so I can mount the rears with less effect on the lounge asthetics. Keeping the Mrs happy is a major component of any Home Theatre project seemingly LOL

The B&W are superbly built bits of kit, and dropping them for something "less expensive" seems like madness, but I can't ignore the frothing mouths of forum SVS owners who would as soon as make love to their SVS speakers they like them so much.

I'll take the opinion of the forumites over a spiv or snotty teenager in a AV shop any day. :clap:

Same invite to you too, if you can get to brum :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom