Replace AVI monitors with true wireless system. OD-11?

oceanvibe

Novice Member
Hi All,

I currently have some AVI DM10s. Having recently moved into a new place, I fancy a change. Although I like the way they sound, I want to get away from speaker stands and eliminate the cable between the speakers etc.

Top of my list is the teenage engineering OD-11. I like the look, the fact that you don’t need a cable between the two devices and that they seem to be quite carefree when it comes to placement. These speakers are quite old now, are they still a good purchase? Any current owners in here that can comment on their performance?

If I did purchase the OD-11, id like to place them on shelves rather than the floor. The shelves would be 2/3rds the way up some rather high ceilings - would they sound ok?

also considering the Naim muso and muso QB. I understand these can’t be used as stereo pairs though and they don’t really appeal to me as much as the OD-11.

any other suggestions? I’ve always loved the look of the B&O A9. It’s expensive though, and possibly a little flashy for my tastes.

Last edited:

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
If you are interested in wireless / power only speakers, then WiSA technology is a good one to look at too. Although maybe a little over the top in terms of price.

System Audio make a lovely set of speakers (called Silverback's) with WiSA built in and a hub for transmission. They can even do 7 Ch of surround and there are ceiling speakers for Atmos as well!

The little BookShelf Legend 5's have just been upgraded (now 5.2's), so there may be some 5.1 Versions still available.

dogfonos

If I did purchase the OD-11, id like to place them on shelves rather than the floor. The shelves would be 2/3rds the way up some rather high ceilings - would they sound ok?
Doubt it.

I've never heard of these particular 'lifestyle' speakers but I had a quick Google to check them out. Any design with an upward facing tweeter that's placed at (about) head height or above won't radiate treble very effectively into the listening areas, though perhaps your room could accommodate a tennis umpire's chair just for music listening? Or maybe tip the OD-11 onto it's side?

I doubt that designs like this are intended for serious listening - more for background sound and for that, I'm sure they are eminently suitable. I wouldn't expect the TE OD-11 to get close to the sonic accuracy of your AVI DM10s, but then the OD-11 is far cheaper.

Most, if not all, 'lifestyle' speakers are likely to be of lower sound quality than speakers like the AVIs which are designed for audio precision. I guess it's a choice between appearance/physical format and sound quality.

I want to get away from speaker stands and eliminate the cable between the speakers etc.
Maybe consider the Dynaudio Xeo and FocusXD ranges. The smaller models could be wall-mounted. Another possibility would be on-wall or in-wall designs. Some big hifi brands like MartinLogan, Bowers&Wilkins, Klipsch and KEF sell them - I'm sure many others too.

oceanvibe

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas guys.
Never heard of system audio before, they look interesting.
Doubt it.

I've never heard of these particular 'lifestyle' speakers but I had a quick Google to check them out. Any design with an upward facing tweeter that's placed at (about) head height or above won't radiate treble very effectively into the listening areas, though perhaps your room could accommodate a tennis umpire's chair just for music listening? Or maybe tip the OD-11 onto it's side?

the makers do suggest they work on shelves and can work well, by positioning the speakers on their side, drivers angled down as you suggest. I just wondered if anyone had heard them in this orientation.

Most, if not all, 'lifestyle' speakers are likely to be of lower sound quality than speakers like the AVIs which are designed for audio precision. I guess it's a choice between appearance/physical format and sound quality.
I don’t imagine for one moment that they would be as accurate, definitely a choice between appearance and sound quality. It’s hard to know how much of a trade off there is, guess I hoped someone here had heard them. They’re actually similar to the AVIs price wise - you may have seen the price of just one speaker.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I can’t imagine the ODs will even approach the sound quality of the AVI 10s.

The AVIs are seriously grown up speakers.

One of my bigger hifi mistakes was selling mine.

Also, 2\3rds up the wall is not a good idea. Even if you can get the tweeters to point at your seat in an ideal fashion, which seems unlikely, you’ll still get bass reflection from the ceiling.

As dogfonos says, you might consider the wireless Dynaudio Xeos series and wall brackets. But again, at ear height if you want to retain sound quality.

And finally, the new wall mounted wireless Dali active speakers. Though they’re likely to be well out of budget.

And, as you’re used to excellent stereo separation and soundstage, buying a more or less single point source all in one like the Muso may well be a change too far for your ears.

dogfonos

One of my bigger hifi mistakes was selling mine.

Has there ever been a thread entitled "Hifi regrets"? Bet we've all got one or two.

It’s hard to know how much of a trade off there is [OD-11 vs DM10], guess I hoped someone here had heard them.

Indeed. Very difficult to quantify differences and then communicate those differences successfully to another person - even if someone had heard both designs. I've been misled in the past with some hifi magazine reviewer claiming a 'night and day' subjective difference between products, only for me to hear a very similar performance.

A home demo maybe?

oceanvibe

Novice Member
Ok, so I tried the OD-11 and you guys were right, not suitable. At first I thought it sounded great, but over the course of several hours and at higher volume levels, the difference in quality between the OD-11 and my AVIs was stark.

so for now I’m sticking with the AVIs and keeping an eye open alternative solutions. What about the 2nd generation Kef LS50W? Bit of an outlay just to remove the slave cable though.

DT79

Ok, so I tried the OD-11 and you guys were right, not suitable. At first I thought it sounded great, but over the course of several hours and at higher volume levels, the difference in quality between the OD-11 and my AVIs was stark.

so for now I’m sticking with the AVIs and keeping an eye open alternative solutions. What about the 2nd generation Kef LS50W? Bit of an outlay just to remove the slave cable though.
I doubt they’d be much better in absolutely sound quality terms. If you’ve got £2K to spend, then my recommendation would be to buy a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 and use that as a pre-amp/streamer and drive the DM10s as if they were a conventional pair of active speakers. The main benefit being that you would get RoomPerfect room correction which really will make a difference to your sound.

The only disadvantage to that is that the 1120 only has one set of pre-outs which precludes you adding room corrected sub(s) in the future (unless you use splitters of the L&R pre-outs going to the speakers - doable but sub-optimal).

If you wanted to do a sub(s) in future and assuming you already have a streamer if you want one then you could see if you can pick up a second hand TDAI-2170 which has both an analogue and digital pre-out, which allows you to use both active speakers and subs with the crossovers implemented using the amp’s DSP. Also has much more flexible input options, but lacks the streamer and web interface of the 1120.

Either one would open up the potential of both active and passive speaker upgrades in future.

I had AVI ADM40s and after 7 years of happy ownership got the 2170 to use a preamp/room correction - it was by an order of magnitude the best they ever sounded once I’d run RoomPerfect. I later changed the speakers to Dynaudio special forty and got the Lyngdorf subs.

DT79

Or given that the above is completely opposite to your brief :laugh: if you want to go both wireless and better your AVIs, then this is what you want to be looking at.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynaudio-Focus-20-XD-Active-Loudspeakers-boxed-with-three-months-warranty-/203490853951?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I don’t think you can both better your AVIs and ditch the speaker stands unless you look at floorstanding versions or similar.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom