Replace Arcam AVR300 with Sony STR-DN1080

junipers

I have had the AVR300 since 2007 and it has developed a power fault - press the power button and it works sometimes, but mostly not. Repeated toggling can result in power-up, but it is becoming increasingly rare. A bit of googling suggests that I have been lucky to have been problem free for this long and return to Arcam for repair would cost a LOT.
I bought it to replace a stereo amp, and added 2 KEF rears and an AE centre to go with the existing AE floorstanders shown in my sig, at the same time. I chose the Arcam as it had a good reputation for 2-channel as well as surround, and I would like to follow that philosophy, though my listening habits have changed to the extent that pure music listening in that room has reduced a lot, and the source is usually Deezer streaming through a Sonos Port.
A bit of research has turned up the Sony STR-DN1080 which @Steve Withers seems to be very impressed with it; "the DN1080 also handled two-channel music very well".
This fits my budget (£429 - I am no longer in the Arcam league) and is my preference at the moment.
Any comments please? (Long term listener to the podcast @Steve Withers - 1 of the best I listen to :)

dobrykamil

Well, all I can say that str-dn1080 is an excellent choice (I use it myself), but you may want to read this thread first. It has some minor flaws.

wiz

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom