Question Replace Acoustic Energy AE120 speakers

Halle70

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Acoustic Energy AE120 (from the late 90s, not the new version) floorstand speakers connected to my new Audiolab 6000a amplifier. I am generally satisfied with my speakers but after I got this new amplifier I wonder how much better sound I can get with a new pair of speakers as the AE120s are quite old now. Budget around 1000£

Has anyone here at the forum owned these pair of speakers and replaced them? How do these AE120 speakers stand against todays models, i.e. is it worth replacing them?

New speakers I was thinking of:
- System Audio Mantra 50
- Fyne Audio F501
- Sonus Faber Chameleon T
- Monitor Audio Silver 200
- Quad S-4
etc

Have a look at this thread Upgrading from Monitor Audio Silver S8 We discussed a good few speakers in there where a user had the MA silver 8's and was looking for an upgrade.. and it might help. The audiolab being a 50Wpc amp will limit you somewhat on your choice though.. Auditions are a must.. Audio T and Richer Sounds both carry the speakers discussed as well as the audiolab..

I remember hearing the 120s years ago and they were, and are, an impressive, big sounding speaker.

I think you’d need to double what they cost new to get an improvement in detail. Improving the bass depth would be a big job.

Say around £1500 minimum to make it worthwhile spending any money (but realistically closer to £2000 new).

Other wise it’s likely to be a sideways move.

Hi
I have a pair of these. Same age 20 years plus. Had them stored in the loft for years and then decided to get them out and use them again. I thought the extreme temp of the loft would screw them up but they were perfect!.
They still sound amazing. I bought a naim cd played and amp and are using them with these.
I was advised to top them I would be looking at 3,000 . I cannot see the point in changing them

I remember hearing the 120s years ago and they were, and are, an impressive, big sounding speaker.

I think you’d need to double what they cost new to get an improvement in detail. Improving the bass depth would be a big job.

Say around £1500 minimum to make it worthwhile spending any money (but realistically closer to £2000 new).

Other wise it’s likely to be a sideways move.
I was told a similar thing. I have these and still love them. I'm looking at improving my system but don't really know what to do. Maybe adding a power amp?

I have a pair of Acoustic Energy AE120 (from the late 90s,

Didn't the bass/mid drive units on this model employ foam rubber surrounds? AE manufactured the original AE120 from 1995 to 1998 (evidently) so your speakers are over 20 years old. How are the foam drive unit surrounds holding up? Any visible degredation yet?

Agree with others - nice speakers. New isn't necessarily better than old.

Hi.
The surrounds look as good as the day I bought them. No degredation at all.

Good. IME, most start to 'powder' somewhere between 12 and 20 years. QA must be doing something right.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom