Replace 32PG6000 32" plasma TV with what?

winrow3745

Novice Member
Hello All,

I have a bit of a head scratcher for you all.

I have owned this LG 32PG6000 32" inch plasma TV for about 10 and it's been great, but unfortunately due to an issue caused by my daughter (getting yoghurt on the screen) and me (rubbing off the anti reflection layer while trying to clean the yoghurt off) I'm looking to replace it due to the damage.

I can't fit a 55" screen in the space and it's a relatively small room as well. It's fed by a 4k SKY Q box, so could be beneficial to get a 4k TV but we sit about 3 metres away from the TV. Also due to the location of the TV, we have a few very off axis viewing points which are roughly 35 degrees off axis.

Any recommendations at all?

Cheers,
Winrow.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The only way to get both good viewing angles and good HDR sub 55" nowadays is by getting one of the new 48" OLEDs, or going for Sony's new XH9505.

Samsung do have some models that are okay sub 55" with HDR and with good viewing angles like the 55" Q85T but it only uses a 60hz panel at smaller sizes so I wouldn't recommend it against the others.

These are all 2020 models which are currently priced very high, so unfortunately buying them now isn't great value than say around Black Friday 2020 or later.

EDIT* to clarify 4k at 3m away from a 50" TV is next to pointless, but on TVs that have good HDR hardware, it can still be beneficial at that distance to enjoy HDR content if you use it.

Last edited:

depot

The 49” version of the Sony xh9505 doesn’t have the wide viewing angle filter, need to go to the 55” and above.

winrow3745

Novice Member
Hmmm, interesting. So we are thinking that my only real option is to go for the OLED at 48" ? Once the prices are more reasonable obviously....

Dodgexander

Hmmm, interesting. So we are thinking that my only real option is to go for the OLED at 48" ? Once the prices are more reasonable obviously....
Its really the only way to get a good all-round TV. It wouldn't be the case if the sub 50" LCD TV alterantives with wider viewing angles weren't bad TVs at display HDR, but they are.

If you intend to avoid HDR content, then you could go cheaper for something like the LG SM8500/SM8600 or even SM9000 LCD TVs but they are not future proof in the sense you'll be free of problems when you use them to display HDR content.

For Sky alone, they have recently introduced HDR: Sky HDR launch rumoured for 27th of May

So the short answer is no, you don't necessarily need to wait for the 48" OLED prices to come down. The long answer is if you don't wait, you will probably end up upgrading again later once you discover the TV doesn't have the required hardware to display HDR without issues.

Every TV and his dog has HDR on its box, but very few can display it without issues, its slim pickings, especially once you are shopping for a TV smaller than 55" nowadays. This is all because manufacturers trim specs on smaller models than 55"...such as the Sony @depot mentioned above.

winrow3745

Novice Member
I have to say I actually wish TV manufacturers would make 1080p TV's with HDR. I'm still not convinced about 4k (unless you are American and can comfortably fit a 75" TV in your living room😀 ). I am however convinced about the benefits of HDR.
I think the take away for me from this discussion is to wait it out. I like keeping any of my purchases for a long time, so other than the 48" OLED, I might as well hold out for the technology to catch up.

Dodgexander

Yes the push to 4k really wasn't needed and was created more because of a selling point. What's worse is it means anything that isn't 4k now requires upscaling which deteriorates the picture more...especially noticeable with poorer HD and SD quality content.

But it is what it is, and there's rarely HD TVs produced now. Those that are produced are at small sizes and outclassed by larger high spec TVs. If you are shopping at 40 or 43" the HD TVs available aren't any poorer than UHD ones. But once you open up mid range models at 49" and over, they fall behind in overall quality despite being more suited to display poorer quality material.

So yeah its a mess, but it is what it is. Indeed its not fair on those who have limited space and not room for a 75" behemoth!

alahen

I also had the LG 32PG6000 and was in exactly the same situation as the original poster last year. Couldn't fit a 55" in my small room, loved the plasma picture quality and didn't want to sacrifice viewing angles. I also have a fair amount of SD kids movies which look fine on the plasma.

However, I wanted something a bit bigger and wanted to upgrade from the 720p LG.

After much research on this forum, I figured that going to a current generation 42" LED TV would probably leave me disappointed with the picture quality and would not be worth the expense of the upgrade.

I ended up buying a 2nd hand Panasonic 1080p 42" plasma for £100 which I am very happy with. It doesn't do HDR, but considering I never had it before, it's not something that I am missing.

Hopefully this cheap upgrade will keep me satisfied until there are decent quality smaller TVs available with acceptable HDR compatibility.

Good luck!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom