1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairs worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by steev, Jan 1, 2003.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Fuji Finepix 1400 that I bought 2 years ago. It's been a pretty good camera, but it's playing up again. Previously the lens wasn't coming out properly, but that resolved itself. Then yesterday it stopped taking pictures. Whilst trying it the flash kept going off by itself and making a popping sound. Didn't look healthy. It seems that just pressing the shutter button locks the camera up.

The camera has probably had a fairly typical life. It's been dropped a couple of times. The lens cover is a bit loose, but otherwise it looks fine on the outside. I suspect a dodgy contact somewhere.

So the options now are repair or replace.
    I know we can get a 2MP camera for under £200 now, so any repair needs to be well under that to be worthwhile. I expect that somewhere like Jessops may want money up front just to look at it. Obviously the repair cost will depend on what's wrong.

So has anyone had a budget digital repaired and was it worth the cost?

Thanks

--
    Steve

2. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    In view of the nature of the problem, this might sound like a stupid suggestion, but you may want to try phoning or e-mailing the problem to Fuji customer support. I've occasionally (only occasionally mind you!) been pleasantly surprised by customer support departments (recently LG were really helpful and quick). No idea what Fuji are like though.

First check the obvious things like battery condition and battery connectors for corrosion/dirt etc. Clean/replace where necessary.

Personally given the age and value of the camera now I'd then discharge the flash, remove the batteries and open it up myself (if possible on this model) and look for anything obvious. Nine times out of ten this sort of problem is mechnical, not electrical in nature, so look for lose connections, dry joints, broken wires etc etc.

If you're not feeling that adventurous you COULD try a repairer, but frankly you could easily end up with a 3-figure bill and a lot of hassle. As you say, you can easily get a 2MP camera for £200 or less, so you may want to think along those lines...