1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing plastic camera bodywork

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by steev, Nov 15, 2004.

1. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The battery cover on our Kodak has broken. It's right at the hinge. I've tried Superglue, but it doesn't hold. Is there a better sort of glue for these plastics?

It's out of warranty and I just know that a professional repair will cost more than the camera is worth. It's a 2MP model (CX4230) and a couple of years old. I know a newer model would not cost much, but money is tight and it's good enough for our needs.

Thanks

--
    Steve

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    silicone might work, but because it will take a lot of use it might never really work right. Is it just the door? You might be surprised if you ring the spares department

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Oh bugger, we've seen this situation before haven't we Sean :rolleyes:

I'm afraid Steve you are basically stuffed. The plastic used on most cameras does not glue well even with high grade superglue. There is not normally enough room to use epoxy resin either and I doubt it would hold anyway. My advice is to just tape the battery door shut and live with a slightly scruffy camera. These things do not come apart easily either as I discovered.

In case you wondered how I am an expert on this situation. I dropped my brand new KonicaMinolta digital camera after less than a week. It broke the battery door clips and hinge. Superglue appeared to work until the battery’s were fitted at which point the glue failed miserably. The camera worked fine with the door gaffa taped shut but looked nasty. I got a quote of £180 to repair a brand-new £300 camera :eek: I managed to get it reduced but it still hurt.

Cheers, Mylo :)

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
  5. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I managed to unscrew the bottom panel to remove the rest of the hinge. It's a puny piece of plastic with very little surface to glue. The Superglue just doesn't seem to make a firm bond and it's under a fair bit of stress from the batteries pushing against it. I'm sure tape would do the job, but it's an annoyance.

Actually, I just had the thought of using some self-adhesive Velcro. That would make it easier to replace the batteries and that stuff sticks pretty well.

I have mailed Kodak to see if I can get a replacement. We shall see what they say.

--
    Steve

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Thats a good start :thumbsup: Do you think you can fit a new door/hinge in one piece? The cost of a battery door is only about £10 .

7. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Find a dud one on eBay and make like a cannibal.

8. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    one of my friends busted my old camera, it would have been simple to fix had it not been designed by morons, after giving me 3 300volt electric shocks and me spasming and dropping it on the floor, it was finally "dead"

9. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
  10. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bid on that auction, but got sniped at the last moment. I mailed the guy direct and he has more covers. There's one on there now that I could have for $9.99+delivery.

For now I've fixed it with some sticky-backed velcro. Wonderfull stuff. I may consider a more permanent repair later. With the price of cameras now I may be better off upgrading anyway. Not an issue until after the Xmas spending festival.