Question Repaired FZ800 too dark

steft

Novice Member
Hi,

I bought the FZ800 about about 4 months ago. After about 2 months, it showed a bright green stuck pixel (or maybe a small cluster of pixels). Panasonic service, collected the TV and after about 3.5 weeks they changed the panel and returned it back to me.

When I first got the FZ800 I was really impressed by the picture quality (I personally prefer the Professional 1 preset). When the panel was replaced however, the colors just do not seem the same to me.

The darks look too dark and the whites a bit "overexposed". For a example, a person wearing a black suit on TV, I could see the creases before whereas now it just looks on solid black color. Before they delivered the repaired TV back to me, I asked them who will do the calibration and they told me that the panel together with the processor come pre-calibrated from the factory and I should not worry about it.

I have tried reset to factory defaults but it made no difference whatsoever.

Obviously I have no practical way of proving the above comparison to the shop I bought it from.

What would you suggest I do?

Has anybody else had theirs repaired? Did you notice any difference in picture quality?

Thank you

Flame89

New panels tend to be quite dark, so I would give it at least 100 hours before judging it's too dark...

GAmbrose

You sure they haven't changed the RGB setting on the TV from 'limited' to 'full'?

Sometimes that can lead to black/shadow crush (like you described, with suits looking like a black block with no detail)

steft

Novice Member
New panels tend to be quite dark, so I would give it at least 100 hours before judging it's too dark...
They delivered the TV a couple of weeks ago. I will give it a little more time but when the original TV came I did not notice such darkness in the beginning

steft

Novice Member
You sure they haven't changed the RGB setting on the TV from 'limited' to 'full'?

Sometimes that can lead to black/shadow crush (like you described, with suits looking like a black block with no detail)
I have no idea what they changed but I did try to reset the TV to factory defaults. The only setting I can find referring to RGB is about HDMI RGB Range with option Auto/Full/Normal. The problem is there however in Amazon Prime and Netflix as well not just HDMI sources.

Is there another setting related to RGB color?

next010

Distinguished Member
there is no limited option. The options available are Auto/Full/Normal and the default is Normal for all 4 HDMI inputs.
Normal is likely the equivalent to low in that case, but I would select auto instead.

It does sound like a RGB range problem, not sure what else could be the cause, if it affects internal apps too, is there no RGB range setting for the built in apps ?

FlatpanelsHD review of FZ800 has settings for professional picture preset under measurements section of the review, give those a try on the off chance they help.

Other than that you might have to contact Panasonic, maybe an engineer during tests changed a setting in the TV service menu and forgot to change it back before returning it to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom