1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Repaired' amp still broken!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richgtfc, Dec 8, 2003.

1. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony STR-DB 1080 amp started making putting noises about 8 6 weeks ago. I rang Empire Direct who I bought it from, and they arranged for it to be collected and repaired by Budget TV Repair in Earlston. The engineer came round and heard the noise it was making and said it would have to go to the shop. A month later and after 'extensive soak testing' (whatever that is) they couldn't find a problem. However, now it makes a horrible noise whatever the input, including the test tone. There also seems to be a buzzing noise from speakers that are not in use. The only way I can get a proper sound is from 2 channel stereo using the radio. Does anyone have any idea what's happened?? Anyway it's going back to Empire Direct today, so if they can't fix it maybe I'll be getting my money back..... then I can get a newer, shinier one!!

2. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire Direct said the problem was a faulty voltage regulator and have fixed it. No doubt when it comes back it'll start making the putting noises again. Can't fault Empire Direct, their service is excellent and fast. However, wish they had dealt with it first instead of getting Budget TV Repair from Earlston to do the work. All they did was keep it a month, not find a problem and break the voltage regulator!