Repair shower base / tray

=adrian=

So this just happened. A crack around 3 inches long in our shower tray. It felt a little weird, making strange cracking noises underneath for some time. Is this fixable or only solution is to get it replaced? What are the costs of replacing it, if anyone knows?

bpIDmIc.jpg

IronGiant

It's fooked, replace it. The support underneath has gone so any attempt to fix it will quickly fail. You could stick some sealant on it as a very temporary fix but get it changed before you get water damage underneath.

=adrian=

It's fooked, replace it. The support underneath has gone so any attempt to fix it will quickly fail. You could stick some sealant on it as a very temporary fix but get it changed before you get water damage underneath.
I know it is a long shot, but any idea of a rough costs of such a job? Standard size, I would imagine. 28" square one

IronGiant

Not me, I'd DIY it: you want someone like @Wahreo to advise

=adrian=

Some water must have spilled under, because I have a damp patch on livingroom ceiling now. Long and thin

=adrian=

Any idea if something like that would be covered by warranty. The house is only 7 years old. We have 10 years of warranty.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
Any idea if something like that would be covered by warranty. The house is only 7 years old. We have 10 years of warranty.
I suspect not. You might be able to argue that it is a latent defect due to insufficient support, but I don't think you'd win unless bigger underlying issues came up. Caveat: my opinion, I don't know!

=adrian=

I suspect not. You might be able to argue that it is a latent defect due to insufficient support, but I don't think you'd win unless bigger underlying issues came up. Caveat: my opinion, I don't know!
Thank you. And even if I would win, it would probably take a long time for them to do anything. Meanwhile, we have no shower... and I'm worried about the ceiling in the living room.

=adrian=

I've been calling my mates for numbers to plumbers, and got some, but it's late and I guess plumbers need a rest too, so they don't pick up so late.

Annoying it happened now, as we are jetting off on holiday on Friday.

Any idea, if it is possible just to replace the shower tray, or it means also replacing tiles and whatnot?

IronGiant

@=adrian= Unfortunately it's likely the bottom row of tiles overlap the tray and will have to be removed.

=adrian=

On the acrylic trays, they sometimes have a lip as IG suggests.

Maybe not though.

You could try this:-

Big Boy Fibre Glass Resin Kit

You can also buy enamel spray and polish to get good results.
I've been browsing around for a new tray, but it is a nightmare to find exactly same one. Ours quite deep (around 7cm) and most these days seem to be 4cm deep. Very strange. Also ours have the hole in the middle to one side, while most have them at a corner. Went through 5 or 6 stores (Wicks, BQ, Screwfix, etc.) and have not a single one that would be a straight swap, ie 760 x 760 mm, 7cm deep, hole in the middle to one side.

Anyway, while I was browsing around I came across cheapest of the cheapest and I can bet any money that this is what developer used. I bet this is the design we have and one of the legs underneath snapped and that is why we could hear strange cracking from underneath and flexing of the unit.

I suspect that, as IG said, it's the support that gave ghost and it needs done properly. Problem is, I have no idea if it needs replacing the whole shower together with tiles, or just the base.

srrp91200_l_2_.jpg

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Almost impossible to give advise on replacing the tray without being there and picking up little indications of how it was fitted. I’d need lots of photos to advise

IronGiant

@=adrian= can you post up some photos of where the shower tray meets the tiles? It's not necessarily doom and gloom, we are just preparing you for the worst.

If you want to leave it until after the holiday, just cover it with Duct tape :eek::thumbsup:

=adrian=

@=adrian= can you post up some photos of where the shower tray meets the tiles? It's not necessarily doom and gloom, we are just preparing you for the worst.

If you want to leave it until after the holiday, just cover it with Duct tape :eek::thumbsup:

I would like to fix it before, otherwise it would just be on my mind the whole time.

It's one of those lots of tiny tiles jobs

Trying to show the depth of the tray also

20180723_213326v2.jpg

IronGiant

You need to get that acrylic panel off the front and see what's underneath...

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Defineley an acrylic tray and pretty likely that it has a lip under the tiles. It might not though. I mainly rip out the older acrylic trays which do have a lip, that’s quite a modern one.

I’d try that fibreglass kit. It gets great reviews

=adrian=

You need to get that acrylic panel off the front and see what's underneath...

That's the first thing I've done. I got part of it out, but it seems to be attached to something, because it started cracking, there seems to be MDF board underneath at the front blocking the view further. Didn't want to crack it any more, so I put it back

Defineley an acrylic tray and pretty likely that it has a lip under the tiles. It might not though. I mainly rip out the older acrylic trays which do have a lip, that’s quite a modern one.

I’d try that fibreglass kit. It gets great reviews

I would be very happy if that would be all that's needed, but I am worried about the support underneath. I think it's one of those plastic legs that collapsed.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
The acrylic trays usually have a sheet of chipboard glued on to the base and metal legs screwed onto it.

The reason it fails is probably a leg has given way, but acrylic trays are poor full stop.

If you do decide to replace then measure from the bottom of the tiles to be floor.

=adrian=

The acrylic trays usually have a sheet of chipboard glued on to the base and metal legs screwed onto it.

The reason it fails is probably a leg has given way, but acrylic trays are poor full stop.

If you do decide to replace then measure from the bottom of the tiles to be floor.
From the floor to bottom of the tiles is 18-19cm. Quite hard to measure because the shower is built-in into the tight space with no space around and tiles are only inside.

20180723_220307.jpg

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
If the tiles have to come off to replace the tray then it might cost you a bit of money.

If the wall is wet behind the tiles it’ll be a complete rip out and start again including new door, tray, wall prep and tiles.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

ASUS unveils new 4K OLED gaming monitors
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen