repair or replace ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by carlymart, Sep 18, 2007.

1. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    well my hitachi 42pd5200 has blown it power supply board and its going to cost £250-£300 to repair
    so am i better off repairing or replacing baring in mind it not a true HD set and only has dvi etc OR
    i can get a panasonic px70 for a good price thats only just over double the max repair price
    to be honest if it had been a little cheeper i would just repair but when it 40% of a new set i just dont know
    also if i did repair the set i would be buying a new projector as well so i just dont know
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Para

Para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I would say replace as you will always wonder what your missing out on!!

3. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    £250-£300 to repair wow !! my board went about 12 months ago. luckily it was still coverd. comet did the repair at my home, they said it was a common fault that a servicable part would blow on the power supply.

the part looked like it cost 20p from an electonics shop and was solderd to the board, the enginner was here for around twenty mins.

i say dig a little deeper for a better repair quote. as if it is the common fault
    it seems a little steep in price for what i witnessed.

only thing that lets this set down is no hdmi otherwise i think its still a good picture.

pitty you are too far away to drop it off here and swap the backs over lol

4. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hi i was aware of the replaceable parts on the board and the dealer has tried replacing the small components on the power supply board and it just did not work and it need to be the whole board replaced
    the guy who is doing it is a friend as well he knows what parts need to be done but Hitachi will not supply anything other then the complete board
    i have complained to Hitachi but as yet no reply has been received

5. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well if the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, you could get a new one with better connectivity like lots of hdmi, but will the screen be as good.
    when the HD issue was in full swing with this set i was offered a relacement i think it was hitachi 6600 the PQ was no where near. they would not replace it for the 7200 even with me paying the difference. This is the crazy bit they
    gave me cash back a small amount totaling nearly £1100 where was the sence in that. after they had refused an extra £200 from me. this plasma had a very short shelf life as it was hastily replaced by a varient i think they added an E to the name.

6. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    yep i know i could get more hdmi inputs but i only need one as everything is switched
    as for the picture i am sure it would be better on the panasoinc but by how much ? unless its side by side and correctly set up i will never know
    however their is a few issues i have had with the 5200 that would be resolved by the replacment (manly post solarisation)
    but is that enough to warrent £400 plus
    more head scraching needed i think

7. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    convince yourself that the hitachi is dead, you dont spend £300 on a car thats only worth £500 tops, i saw the 7200 on ebay for around that anyway.

sorry i am now helping you spend your money.