1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by richard plumb, Oct 20, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    had the box (grundig) since feb 2003. Now its not picking up five, sky mix and other channels, yet others are fine.

Went through LNB reset etc with the tech guys, and they need to book a servicecall.

Its a £65 cost to fix or replace the box. Is it worth doing, or should I just try and pick up a replacement box from ebay or the local paper? If I buy another one, what are the best models to look for?

cheers :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A new box is unlikely to fix that. Sounds more like an LNB or dish alignment problem. You could take your box to a friend's house and check it out on their dish.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    but the CS guy seemed to think it was the box. If it was alignment it wouldn't pick up so many channels would it? eg it picks up skyone, but not sky mix.

If it is the LNB, would it make sense to try and shortcut any work needed for Sky HD? what LNB is that likely to use - the same as sky+? Obviously I'd need some more cable too.