Repair or replace Denon AVR-X4200W?

eddiem74

Need some advice...

My Denon AVR-X4200W had developed an issue some time back possibly after a power surge.

Symptoms are cannot connect to network either via ethernet or WiFi, cannot run Audyssey set-up, fails to complete each time, and Bluetooth connection appears also affected.

I currently run a 7.1 setup and done a manual speaker setup recently using a phone app to measure sound levels and a measuring tape to set distances.

I tend to use the receiver primarily with SkyQ these days also rather than HTPC/etc., for movies, sports, Netflix, etc.

Should I send my 4200 for repair or just replace with something newer at this stage?

Thoughts / recommendatiins?

Last edited:

gibbsy

The immediate replacement for your X4200 would be the X4700 at a cost of £1549 if shopping in the UK. That's lot of money in anyone's budget so it may be very well sending in the X4200 for an estimate if you can find a local repairer.

It does sound like a software problem. Have you done a factory reset?

N1ck

Sorry I won’t be able to offer advise but, to help others in the future was it connected to a surge/spike protector or mains conditioner?

eddiem74

The immediate replacement for your X4200 would be the X4700 at a cost of £1549 if shopping in the UK. That's lot of money in anyone's budget so it may be very well sending in the X4200 for an estimate if you can find a local repairer.

It does sound like a software problem. Have you done a factory reset?
Yes I have tried all various reset options I could find with no success, unfortunately.

If I wanted to move away from Denon any alternative suggestions based on usage via SkyQ, Netflix, etc being my primary sources.

eddiem74

Sorry I won’t be able to offer advise but, to help others in the future was it connected to a surge/spike protector or mains conditioner?
Just plugged into a wall socket, I believe it happened when we had a split second power loss not enough to trip the circuit breaker but things seemed to be unresponsive after thst event from what I can tell.

Kevin4497

Similar events with my 7200W/A.

After a power surge in the house that flipped the main ring, it stopped working. Wouldn't switch on at all. I found a repair shop in Northampton (that Richer Sounds use/recommended), but the report stated the following:

"Something has happened to the system control micro. If you force the amp on, the display just lights pretty much every segment. No controls do anything. Performed every factory reset to no avail. Either the system control micro itself is damaged, or the control software is corrupted"

He said the micro was integral to the board, and as an end of line product he said he could not get a replacement board (I think* that's what he said).

Upshot - unrepairable, just like that! 😢 Being only 4y 4m old, it feels a very unlucky outcome.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes I have tried all various reset options I could find with no success, unfortunately.

If I wanted to move away from Denon any alternative suggestions based on usage via SkyQ, Netflix, etc being my primary sources.

Try to do it at least 5 times in row as that has solved some issue which wasn`t with just one run and try Hard Reset if you did the "reset for factory settings" found in manual.

HARD RESET (network + microprocessor reset)

Although not listed in the Owner's manual, a "Hard reset" can be done using the below listed procedures which will not only reset the network card but will also do a microprocessor reset in the process and return all settings to their factory defaults.

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: X4200W/X6200W - "UP/DOWN" arrow buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons (hold for at least 4-5 seconds).

** If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.

eddiem74

Try to do it at least 5 times in row as that has solved some issue which wasn`t with just one run and try Hard Reset if you did the "reset for factory settings" found in manual.

HARD RESET (network + microprocessor reset)

Although not listed in the Owner's manual, a "Hard reset" can be done using the below listed procedures which will not only reset the network card but will also do a microprocessor reset in the process and return all settings to their factory defaults.

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: X4200W/X6200W - "UP/DOWN" arrow buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons (hold for at least 4-5 seconds).

** If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.
Here is what I had done previously, forgot I had an old thread on it at the time. Not sure I done 5 in a row but definitely done a few due to it hanging.

eddiem74

Similar events with my 7200W/A.

After a power surge in the house that flipped the main ring, it stopped working. Wouldn't switch on at all. I found a repair shop in Northampton (that Richer Sounds use/recommended), but the report stated the following:

"Something has happened to the system control micro. If you force the amp on, the display just lights pretty much every segment. No controls do anything. Performed every factory reset to no avail. Either the system control micro itself is damaged, or the control software is corrupted"

He said the micro was integral to the board, and as an end of line product he said he could not get a replacement board (I think* that's what he said).

Upshot - unrepairable, just like that! 😢 Being only 4y 4m old, it feels a very unlucky outcome.
So what did you do in the end replace it with another Denon or?

Kevin4497

nothing yet. I shall probably send it to one of the two Denon repairers for a final diagnosis.\

It is such a shame that you can't just buy a top quality 5.1 basic AVR these days - it has to have all the bells. So I'll end up having to compromise on quality, ie a lesser brand or a lower model with a named brand. Seems like a gap in the market to me - best quality 5.1 or 7.2 at a push, without all the other functions that 80% of us never use.

on another note, I don't want it to happen again, so looking now at what to do by way of a surge protector or circuit breaker, or something to trip on any minor blips. Anybody got any recommendations for AV equipment?

RobinDB

Not all repair centres are good or understand AV amps.
Back many years ago I had a Yamaha av amp which was intermittent on sound coming out of speakers. I took it to official repair centre local to me. They did not have a clue and suggested I junk it. I rang yamaha and they suggested an alternative repair centre. Immediately the guy I spoke to knew of problem and had it fixed within a few days. I cant recall how much I paid but it was not much.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom