Repair old (2009) projector or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DoubleDown33, Nov 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DoubleDown33

DoubleDown33
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time post, long time reader,

I purchased a house 3 years ago that came equipped with a home theater unit with a projector. Totally happy, and scored a house that my wife loved with a prebuilt man cave. Tonight, i was watching football, and I thought the power was browning out as the picture dimmed twice in about 30 seconds, and then stopped projecting. Not ever having a projector before I panicked, but quickly realized that it was more than likely the bulb, and I just needed to replace it.

I called the dealer that installed the system and they quickly scoffed at my unit saying it wasn't worthy of repairing and I should really consider upgrading to one of their 4k units. As if I was watching football on a CRT from the 90's.

The model is a SIM2 Domino D80, I found the bulb on Amazon for $79 + shipping but I needed to know. Since my unit is 7-8 years old, could I go out and get a projector for $500-$1000 and get a huge upgrade (I would spend more, but just didn't want to go to $10,000-$15,000 like the sales man over the phone was trying to sell me).

I am happy with my current projector, but if it would make more sense upgrading versus replacing the bulb, I would love to get some advice. There seems like there are some 1-2 year old Epsons and others that are only $500-$1000.

Thanks ahead for your advice, and feel free to point me at another thread if a similar question has been brought up

-Darin

2. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You said you were happy with it and hopefully for $79 you can fix it. If it was me I'd try that first.
    The sales man was an idiot 'scoffing'. From what I have read it is a bit too early for 4k yet, plus what I have read on here, not much noticeable difference and not much content.

I'm in a similar position, I've got a very old projector, when the bulb goes, what do I do? I think my bulbs are almost non existent or over £200 so I may go down the new projector route, but definitely not 4k.

3. DoubleDown33

DoubleDown33
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fozzie. I decided after some research and Cyber Monday shopping that I purchased an Epson 2040 for $499 at Amazon. Seems like even for a much less expensive projector, I can get quite the upgrade in picture quality.

I appreciate the help, and I agree the salesman was an idiot!

4. linnasak

linnasak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I would still spend the $79 on bulb looks like projector was circa $12000 when new. Would be interesting to get your feedback on current$500 model vs this, basically how things have moved on! I suspect lens in old projector could be superior.
    Sim2 Domino 80

Kevin

5. scoc

scoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Miracles do not exist. No way that 500 USD Epson projector will match the lens and picture quality of the SIM2 Domino 80. For much less you could have bought a new lamp or in my view you'd need to spend 2500-3000€ for something like a Sony VW65 or Epson 9300 to improve on picture quality.