1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repair NAD AV715 (PL) or replace with 5.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AndyCCC, Dec 24, 2002.

1. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ageing NAD AV715 Pro-Logic receiver which has intermittant faults on its two left hand channels, and even when sound appears it is noticeably crackly. I think I've read of common problems like this on NADs.

I'm guessing that I would have to look at spending £100 or so to get it repaired (?) in which case I'm feeling tempted to put the money towards a new receiver with all the latest bells and whistles - ie 5.1 sound, PL2 processing etc. I would probably be looking at spending in the £350 to £500 range, and I've read all the posts about the wonderful Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Sony amps on this board.

I know there's no substitute for listening to them, but can anyone give me an idea on how things are likely to have changed from my NAD. In particular, if I'm only looking at spending less now than on my old amp (which cost me about £550 eight years ago) yet with these extra channels of amplification, am I going to get poorer sound qality for music? I'm hoping not, and that the prices were much higher six years ago because of surround being new, and probably pretty high Dolby licencing fees.

Any opinions gratefully received. I'll be pairing it with Mission FS2-AVs (hence 5.1, though would like to think I might upgrade to 6.1 later). Sources are just-received Toshiba 220 DVD, Marantz DR6000 CD recorder and ageing Dual 503 turntable. Listen to approx 40% music, 40% analogue TV/VHS, 20% DVD.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone who runs and contributes to this very interesting board.

Andy

2. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the av716 some years ago, assume you haven't made a mistake with your model no.
    Looking at your listening habits, I would get one of the new Nads.
    None of the japanese models will come close in stereo.
    The japanese models will probably be better for surround duties.
    regards,
    G.M.