repair, maintenance, and maybe upgrades?

newbie1

Distinguished Member
I set up my cinema room with stereo and surround about 10 years ago and just finished giving it a spring clean. Behind the units, the wiring had got very dusty and it had developed an intermittent buzz which was very annoying. Simplifying and replacing some of the wiring has solved the buzz.

While I'm in repair and maintenance mode, does anyone have suggestions?

The setup is:
  • Stereo amp - Denon PMA 860 c.1990
  • AVR - Denon AVR 2808 c. 2007
  • Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP BD65 c. 2010
  • Antimode 2.0 Dual Core c. 2012
  • Apple TV 4th gen c. 2016
  • Front - Piega Premium 50.2 c.2012
  • Subs - Piega PS2
  • Sides and rear - Piega TP5

A couple of notes:
  1. For music I play discs on the blu-ray player or stream via the apple tv.
  2. As the AVR has only 2 HDMI inputs I have the sources (including satellite tv, PlayStation) coming to an HDMI switch which outputs to the AVR.
  3. The antimode is operating in analog mode and feeds the stereo amp.
  4. I had switches to feed the digital signal to the antimode and then send it to the stereo amp, bypassing the AVR. It seems the extra complications from the switches was the cause of the buzz. I tried ground loop isolators before removing the switches and they didn't solve it.
  5. The stereo amp powers the front speakers and the tape output feeds the subs.
I'm very happy with the sound, especially the stereo sound stage for music. However, there's always room for improvement so open to ideas!

newbie1

Distinguished Member
Simply unplugging and reconnecting everything at intervals can make things better, as contacts can build up a surface layer of oxidation over time.
Good point, I do generally do that once a year or so and it wasn't helping hence more drastic measures.

newbie1

Distinguished Member
Time to upgrade the stereo amp perhaps or refurbish? It's been going 31 years (!) I'm getting old...

Paul7777x

I’d seriously consider getting rid of the stereo amp and the AVR.

I’d replace both with a more modern AVR that has very good quality room correction. And I’d go no further than an Anthem MRX

THE MRX 510 OR 710 would be a very big improvement all round even without using ARC, and with ARC it will be a revelation.

That would also mean you could sell the the DualCore.

Excellent though they are, ARC Genesis does at least as good a job, but over the whole frequency range.

newbie1

Distinguished Member

I’d replace both with a more modern AVR that has very good quality room correction. And I’d go no further than an Anthem MRX

THE MRX 510 OR 710 would be a very big improvement all round even without using ARC, and with ARC it will be a revelation.

Excellent though they are, ARC Genesis does at least as good a job, but over the whole frequency range.
Many thanks Paul, I'll check this out and let you know.

newbie1

Distinguished Member

Thanks again Paul, it's been quite a few years since I paid attention to what was available. The Anthem reviews look very good. I've contacted a dealer, maybe I can test it out in the room to check the difference? I'll need the 710 model to power all the speakers Front, Center, Side and Rear.

A couple more follow-ups:
What do you think of the 740 model over the 710?
Sufficient power for the 4 ohm speakers? (the spec sheet says compatible with 4 but lists power for 8 and 6)

newbie1

Distinguished Member
Quick update - currently leaning towards Marantz and in particular SR7015 (Marantz SR7015 AV Amplifier Review) main reason being that Marantz is the preferred amp recommended by the speaker manufacturer, Piega. It will take some weeks to test as all out of stock at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom