Question Repair Galaxy s4 or buy refurbished IPhone 6s

kah22

Established Member
Reaction score
Two question, if I may

My Galaxy speaker and mike seem to have died today. I can't receive calls ie the phone will ring but I can't hear the other person. Call someone and there is no dial tone. However, put the hands free speaker on and I can hear callers and make calls. Everything else seems normal. So the question is whether or not this is fixable and if so is it worth it. I'm thinking is this the beginning of the end for the Galaxy s4

Assuming it's not fixable, or to costly, I've been looking at a few Apple 6s on Argos eBay shop. Refurbished ones are selling at £419 as opposed to what appears to be a Price of c £539 a decent saving of £120 . So can anyone tell me if refurbished phones from Argos are phones that have really just been returned and that it's a fair bet that they are as new

Anywhere else I might pick up an Apple 6s at a decent price? That's three questions

Kevin

ps It's just occurred to me is 16GB enough memory for a 2016 smartphone ?

Last edited:
I'd look at the phones in CEX mate.
You get 2 years warranty from them.

I think what I'm going to do is wait until the new iPhone makes its appearance, the prices of all the previous models will drop and I plan to get myself a refurbished iPhone s6. I've been watching Argos eBay shop and they seem to do quite a number of refurbished iPhones.

My thinking is that the price of the refurbished phones will also drop. One issue which does worry me, however, is Argos statement
Seller refurbished: An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer.
I'm wondering who is their third party repairer also I'm wondering where Argos get these phones from; are they simply returns, damaged or open boxes which can't be sold as new or are they buying in job lots.

At the same time they are a major player in the market and it would be reasonable to assume they won't sell goods they know is not up to standard

I have just bought a refurbished iphone 6s for my nephew from Argos on Ebay. As with any other Managers special it looked perfect and he has 12 months warranty with Argos. Cost £389, for the 16GB version. My experience with them has been good in the past, as their staff will sort out repairs pronto. The Apple warranty had one month left, so I suggested to him that he should make sure the battery was good as Apple will replace it within the limited warranty period if it is below 80% capacity.

I have seen poor feedback from people who bought the B graded electronics, but their refurbished Managers Specials always look as though they havent been taken out of the box in my experience.

An update on my recent purchase of an Argos Manager special LG G3 - I received a phone that was badly battered, several scratches on the screen, dents on two corners, back had some deep scratches. It was a black model so didn't show the grime as badly as a white one.
I rang to explain what I had received, and to return it. I was told that this won't stop it being functional so complies with the Managers Special grade. Perhaps I was lucky before...

Anyway Argos did accept the return.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom