• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Repainting Speakers

Johndm

Established Member
Well who said it'll ruin them...................:D

Aquired some Mission 775's from fleabay for a bargain price of £133, but they were rosewood, and I really needed black, but couldn't pass at the price.

Now these are rather large, and on bringing them through the front door yesterday, the missus flipped......'orrible' she uttered......'disgusting colour' etc.

But.....I had a plan..:rotfl:

Note, these speakers are covered in a very thin film of plastic wood effect covering, it is not real wood.

After a quick test to ensure they were working, they were firstly wiped off with white spirit to remove any polish.

Took 3 hours to mask up properly, then a light rubbing down with scotchbrite to key the surface.

Then another clean with white spirit to remove all traces of dust.

Applied 3 coats of Halfords Satin Black spray, used 2 cans of 500ml. Think they were 6 quid a can.

Allowed 15 mins between coats, then left for half an hour before carefully removing masking tape. Its best to do this before paint is fully hard so edges
peel easier.

Result is superb, they are VERY close in appearance to my other Mission speakers, the woodgrain effect is still there, and paint has adhered very well.

They now look (and sound) great.....:D

If anyone is gonna try this.......

I did test on a small area on rear of speaker first to ensure paint would stick.
Carefull prep is the key...it takes time to do correctly.
You MUST have 'knack' for spraying, or it might end in tears.
DO NOT tell the missus that you are about to cover every surface in the spare bedroom in a thick black dust
Do wear a mask when spraying.

Hope this might help someome,

Cheers

:hiya:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Lets have some pics then John:thumbsup:

kentish_lad

Established Member
Note, these speakers are covered in a very thin film of plastic wood effect covering, it is not real wood

Most paints will not key to plastic(keyed or not), in time you will find the black will start to chip off, you should have used a plastic primer before the black.

Johndm

Established Member
Most paints will not key to plastic(keyed or not), in time you will find the black will start to chip off, you should have used a plastic primer before the black.

I'll bear that in mind should I need to strip and repaint again. I think I'd dismantle if I need to do that....:eek:

However, I've used the same spray on the plastic trim of my Trans Am, and its been stuck on there for around 7 years.....

type r daddy

Standard Member
pics pics pics

type r daddy

Standard Member
:thumbsup: :cool:

joffy1780

Established Member
Ooooohh.Some picks of the Trans-Am please I love those cars.
Also a bit of detail on how you found one and what they're actually like to drive.:lease:

Johndm

Established Member
Ooooohh.Some picks of the Trans-Am please I love those cars.
Also a bit of detail on how you found one and what they're actually like to drive.:lease:

Just for you...

Had it for 17 years....:eek: They last better than Rovers...:rotfl: :rotfl:
Found in Exchange & Mart.
Cheap to service/mechanical parts (self)
VERY expensive body/glass
Cheap Classic insurance
Fuel, 5000cc V8 so who cares...smiles per mile.......lots

Attachments

• My 1984 Trans Am.jpg
    My 1984 Trans Am.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 48

joffy1780

Established Member
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Awesome,I loooove those cars.

joffy1780

Established Member
I'd probably go through 1 set of tyres a month if I had one:devil:

M

mjmostly

Earlier on it was mentioned that the Mission 775 has a plastic "wood effect" finish. In fact the cabinet on these was real wood veneer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom