1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reomte control fire.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by lonny, Mar 6, 2003.

1. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello,

I am currently considering buying a magiglo fire that is available with remote control :

http://www.magiglo.co.uk/Products/Standard/EliteThermobox.htm

Has anyone any experience of programming a pronto to do this job?? I think that the remote may use RF rather than IR. Does anyone know what remote would be suitable if this was the case??

thanks,

Lonny.

2. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    When I read the subject of this thread, I thought you were going to say your remote control had caught fire!

Can't help with a way around your IR to RF problem without spending loads of money on a ProntoPro, which does RF I believe, ther may be some sort of X-10 solution, try www.letsautomate.com

:)

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a specific X-10 device for converting IR from your remote to RF. The problem will be that you won't have the IR equivelent of the RF code neccesary to operate the fire.

I too considered this fire (the Duo, I think its called), because I wanted to have everything operated remotely on my universal, like you. I decided against it in the end, as I couldn't see a way round learning the command onto my remote AND I was put off the remote version Duo by several stockists, who claimed there were reliability issues with these type of fires.

Anyway, I think the fire is one of the best in its class. The flame pattern is much more realistic, as is the coals, then the mainstream manufacturers.

A tip for you:

I wanted to control some X-10 plug in modules for lamps, etc using my conventional learning remote. Rather than buy the 'proper' X-10 device for this purpose (£60) - I found that the powermid transmitter (£15) could do the same job.

Bought the powermid from letsautomate. Got a pack containing appliance module, lamp module and X-10 remote for £50 from B&Q. Learnt the commands from the supplied X-10 remote (it sends out IR + RF at the same time) onto my main remote - worked a treat.

4. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanx for the suggestions guys - more kit for me to buy I see....

5. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The pronto pro does Ir and RF.......

Any use?

Pat