1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting........

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by andypandy, Jan 11, 2003.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just recently joind my local video store - Apollo as there's no blockbusters near us. I was quite shocked to find fairly new releases at £4 a night. Have they gone mad ?

So I am tempted at these online hiring DVD places. Can anyone recommend any with a huge collection and many many copies ?

I could buy nearly all these DVD's on region one or zero for about £8 incl. postage from Malaysia and believe me the quality of the actual film will be indistinguisable from the US region 1. OK, the second disk may not be present or the extra's not quite the same, but in may case,I don't care.

I suppose when films are released to video stores in advance of their shop release then you might think about Apollo.

2. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    www.viewdvd.co.uk - hvae loads of titles

You will also probably find they are silvers (pirate copies) be cautious when buying DVD's from malaysia.

3. mordokai

mordokai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I worked in England earlier this year, and I remember being ****ed of with the rental prices. They usually charged around 4 £ for any new releases. I've since moved home to Finland and can now rent all the new dvds for 1.5€..

4. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wohoo...Finalnd, Yes!
    Which Finnish chain is €1,5?

I rented at DVD-Town (Turku, Eriikinkatu) yesterday. It was €2,5 for "normal" films and €3,5 for the absolutely newest films.

They had a special some months ago when it was €2 for everything.

-T5

5. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You can try these aswell:

www.dvdoptions.com

and

www.movietrak.com

Dvdoptions (£2.99 for seven nights) were good until they started their 'Movie match' scheme and I find that most films are out of stock, so I'm using movietrak (£3.75 for seven nights) now.

6. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I dont like the idea of renting online, if im going to rent it tends to be a spur of the moment thing. So renting online doesnt really work for me.

7. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Shoka, I think the malaysian company I use (it's only one) seems legit - bogusdvd (?!). If they are pirates , well they are very good in every respect with DTS, 5.1,etc + why make copies region 1 ?
    Q. What's to be cautious ?

I think I will try viewdvd. They seem to have many title. The question is how long would you have to wait for DVD's such as Minority report, signs, Goldmember, etc. Seeing that you can cancel at anytime. I'll try the first month and see how good they are.

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Malaysia has the most amount pirates in the world. Nearly every CD and DVD sold in malaysia is pirated. Did you not see that thing in the news about a month ago? Basically all of the siezed goods were poured out in the street and crushed.

You can walk down the streets in malaysia and buy DVD's and Cds for about 50p. All look genuine, and have DD5.1 etc on the back, but are not.

Maybe you have just got hold of a good supplier. Who are they by the way?

9. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    try the Hollywood rental store in Oadby-LEICESTER. They charge "only" 2.5quid a night, or 1.5 for weekly rental (on older titles).
    They also have a saame day return policy (1.25quid) or a tuesday special (1quid a night).
    rental prices in Luxembourg are also high: over 5€:mad:
    I haerd many good things of dvdoptions and movietrack from my mate who uses them regularly. they surely are cheaper than the local blockbuster witht their 4quid a night:eek: :eek:
    HTH

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is this a take-over bid by the Finns. There must be more of them than squirrels on the forum now :D

11. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J: I'm actually Swedish but I live in Finland...

And yes, there're probably more scandinavians than squirrels around.

Fun with all you UK ppl. I learn phrases like " piece of kit", "nick something", And ofcourse the forever golden (Had a bit too much to drink) expression: "Being F:ed as F" (Better?)

Keep it up lads!

-T5

12. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    What about Scandanavian squirrels?

Test can you edit your thread so it is a bit less obvious that you are swearing.

13. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Shoka,
    The DVD's are definelty 5.1, dts, etc. I have a 36" CRT TV with the Sony STR-DB930 amp and mission speakers all around and Warfedale 'mother' SUB ! - believe me if it wasn't I would know so when I say you cannot tell the difference between the original R1 or R2 release I mean it !!.
    I did once buy a pirate copy of Fast & furious claimed DTS on the front, but as you say it was a complete rip off. The promo advert for DTS was in DTS at the start of the DVD, but the film quality was awful and the sound really terrible.

Anyway, the site is http://bagusdvd.tripod.com/. I have purchased quite a few DVD's from them in the past - very good service , week to 2 weeks delivery for approx £9.50 for a twin disk DVD e.g 'Minority Report' or about £8 for single DVD film like 'The Good Girl'. The good thing is sometimes they do single DVDs only of a normally twin disk for only £8. The DVD covers look like new and professional. The only downside (I'm not quibbling) is that you don't normally find inlay cards in the DVD's.

14. mattruston

mattruston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try your local londis, the one near me in plymouth lets you rent top ten dvd new releases for £2.50 a night or £1.50 for back catalogue releases. and when you rent 5 they let you rent one free

cant really say fairer than that, especially when you're talking about films that you don't really want to buy, but just want to see one more time :cool:

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Our Global Video does 3 for £7.50 for two nights, which is rather good i think.

16. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Bearing in mind I am going to hire the DVD on the day I am going to view it and return it the next day. That's still too much !.

I was going to join viewdvd, but when you add up the maths it's actaully not such a great deal over the high streets (bearing in mind I will keep the DVD overnight only). The other online store are also not as good. There only good if you want to keep a DVD for days !!!.

So I have decided to join a blockbusters (I'll find one on my way to work). They are doing a pass for £10 allowing you 4 rentals - valid for a month from purchase . ALthough I will look around again on 3 Feb when they stop selling them.

17. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    andypandy
    That's why I like online rentals, I can rent a movie for the same price (or cheaper) that Blockbusters, yet keep it for seven days, compared to Blockbusters overnight rental (for new releases).

So if something crops up and I can't watch it on the night I wanted, then I have a bit of leeway.

18. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    100% pirate.
    Not sure if they still do, but used to trade on ebay as 0region as well.

I won an auction ages ago & it wasn't till afterwards that it was made apparent they were shipping from Malaysia.
    They were unable to confirm to me that they were selling 'official' non-pirated product so I didn't take the transaction any further.

If there is an official dvd available, then there is no reason that a rip can't be done that is identical. It doesn't make it any less a pirate though.

Yes the product may be 'good'; you're still supporting video piracy though.