Renting in London

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dtobin, Jul 4, 2015.

1. dtobin

dtobin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Hi,

We (myself, wife and 3 kids) currently live in Leeds. We bought our council house approxiamately a year ago but I now feel we have to move.

There is a certain group of people in the area causing anti-social behaviour problems and I've had enough.

To stay local but away from the bad element here we have a couple of options
    - rent our house out privately and use this to help fund our privately renting of another property for ourselves.
    - sell up and buy elsewhere and lose the considerable deposit we got through buying the property from the council.

I am seriously considering both these options as both seem a better choice than to just stay here and hope it eventually gets better.

Our other option would be to relocate to London. I would have no problem working there as I could just move offices.
    My question is, how much would I realistically be looking at paying to rent a 3 bedroom property within commuting distance of Brentford?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

2. koeman

koeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    In the Brentford area for a nice property you would be looking at 1700-2000 pcm. Think what you could get in Leeds for that money, divide your expectation by 5 and that's about the standard you're going to get

3. dtobin

dtobin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Sounds good ☺

Wouldn't have to be Brentford necessarily, just somewhere I cold get to Brentford from.

4. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Would not option one be a none starter for similar reasons to option two being a none starter?

5. dtobin

dtobin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    No, we can private rent the property or do anything we want with it without it affecting the deposit we got - apart from sell it in the first 5 years.

6. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Three years I believe, not five, it was five many years ago, unless its changed again!

7. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    If you're moving out due to anti social behaviour, London is the last place I'd move to.
    Plus if you're used to Leeds prices be prepared for a shock.

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    You really can't tarnish the whole of Greater London with the same brush. Here is leafy Muswell Hill, it is really lovely. Same goes for East Molesey and areas surrounding it. There are awful places in every city, but if you can afford it, you avoid them.

For the record, I have barely seen Brentford, but I don't recollect it being a very nice place unfortunately.

9. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,614
    Option 1, same as what we will be doing, but not London. Grew up in Barking, in desperate need to go rural.

And when I say Rural I mean Canary Islands.

10. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    I can, I've lived all over London and it's a dump.
    But if you're happy living there that's all that matters. Some people can't stand country life either, but that's their choice.

11. jamiehard1989

jamiehard1989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    You mite be better off on the outskirts of London, but inside the m25

12. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    check out the schools also if you do want to relocate. Brentford is about 30mins from where I live. there are so many surrounding areas that are nice. if you move offices will they up your pay?
    there are lots of rental homes to be had from £1200 upwards again depends on area with good schools. as many have said day to day costs will be more but also think about your kids future as London has many opportunities that other areas may not.

13. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    London is expensive, there is no getting away from it. I am in the renting trap and so annoyed I just missed the boat in certain areas. Anyway I digress. Brenford its self is actually (in London relative terms) quite affordable and while it is ugly in parts and has a huge flyover it has some quite nice parts, is close to the river and is surprisingly close to some lovely areas like Chiswick and Kew. Nearby and not exactly nice but neither rough and more affordable consider Greenford.

If you want to get ahead of the game perhaps check out where Cross-Rail stations will be build although I suspect they'll already be getting more expensive.

I look north of Brentford rather than West if you're looking to commute, going west you're in that belt between London and Oxfordshire and then the Cotswolds which is all just lovely and popular with wealthy commuters. High Wycombe maybe worth checking out, I work in west London and we have a few lower earners who commute from there and also I don't know it well it seemed fine the one time I did visit, I'm not certain about the area though.