1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting DVD's online

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by thebirdman, Dec 21, 2004.

1. thebirdman

thebirdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone use an online DVD Rental service??

I was looking around for a good reliable service, without hidden costs etc..

Anyone got any suggestions or thoughts on this?

For example - It looks like Tesco have a good online rental services. Looks a pretty good service from under £8 a month.

See their offer here

Gets you:
    - 14 day free trial
    - unlimited dvd rentals
    - free delivery both ways
    - no late fees
    - impressive stock

Would appreciate advice and thoughts on this as I tend to stay in a lot over the first few months of the new year - and can think of nothing better than ordering online as my nearest rental place is miles away.

Cheers.

2. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try moviechoices or blockbusters

There are plenty of companies to try and most of them have trial offers giving you between two weeks & a month's free rentals. If I were you I would try some of these and see which company you prefer. They are all pretty similar but it all goes down to personal taste. I found some quicker than others, while I found some had very little choice outside the mainstream, others had more obscure titles.

3. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm sure that I remember reading the business pages of The Guardian the other week and Tesco's debut into online DVD rental being mentioned. If memory serves, they're partnered with Screen Select (who I've used for a few months now and have no probs in recommending).

Clicking through on the link in your post reveals category names similar to Screen Select's and a similar style of presentation.

Why not try 'em out - the titles available will probably offer you a wider choice than your local Blockbuster, and there's no late fees to factor in. On the debit side, some discs turn-up in 'rental versions', meaning no extras. The pluses outweigh the minuses in my experience...

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Looking at my dvd collection of 20 or so box sets and over 100 dvds, I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth buying many more dvds as I'll only watch them once, (epecially with a GC and XBox vying for my time). Just buy the essentials and instead try out one of those unlimited online rental schemes. Well, I signed up to dvd.co.uk's free 21 day trial of their £15 a month, 3 dvd's at a time service. I must admit to being a bit sceptical about the whole thing, imagining really slow delivery times. I signed up Fri compiling a dvd want list of 20-30 titles. The first 3 titles were posted yesterday and 2 of them have arrived today. I'm bloody amazed! I thought with xmas post I wouldn't see anything til next week sometime. I had a 1st class letter sent to me that took 10 days to arrive.

All dvds come in an envelope with free post return address inside, (you tear off your address and re-use the envelope). The discs themselves come in a custom plastic case just bigger than the dvds themselves. Not dvd boxes as I was expecting, and no manuals. No loss there really. Seems very well thought out so far.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've joined a number of the online rentals for the trial period to test them out - believe me they do vary tremendously. I'm rather nerdily keeping a log of their turnround times etc. As someone else said there aren't as many independant rental companies as it looks - ie Tescos is operated by Screen Select, Sainsburys by LoveFilm etc etc - which you only really find by trying to join for the free period and them telling you you've already had your free period!
    This is (one of many) quite a useful database indicating some of the players involved www.dvdtrials.co.uk
    There used to lots of 30 day trials, but they mostly seem to be 14 day ones now... :(
    The worst (slowest) I've tried is Qflicks and the fastest either blockbuster or dvds365 -- LoveFilm was good, but they put a weird clear plastic cover over the DVDs which caused them to jam in my Sony NS900V player!...

Simon

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Amazon have also started doing rentals. If you go with them they will give you 10% off any DVD purchases as well.

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Dvd.co.uk use 'Screen Select' also. I might be wrong, but I thought Amazon's deal was 6 dvd's per month for £9.99? (3 at a time max). Rather than unlimited like dvd.co.uk's £15 unlimited dvd's, 3 at a time. :confused:

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Yes that's correct. I'm with Lovefilm on their 3 at a time unlimited scheme.

10. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    lovefilm.com :thumbsup: :smashin:

11. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'm with LoveFilm.com as well. No real complains so far. They've even put an apology on their site about the slower turnarounds due to the overworked mail system. Certainly a lot cheaper and more convenient (except for going to the post box every few days) than the local video shops.

Only gripe I have, is that their system doesn't seem capable of flagging up series discs in the right order. For instance, I placed the Alan Partridge series 1 on my queue and got disc 2 before disc 1. It can't be that hard for it to resist flagging the later disc until I've had the earlier one.

Hardest task is finding new titles to add to the queue to keep it around the 30 item mark. I'm on the 3 discs at any time for £15 quid deal and was getting around 12-15/month before the chrimbo slow down, which is a bargain.

12. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sorry, forgot to say. Lovefilm are really crap and avoid at all costs.

We don't want everyone signing up, making it even longer before we get to see some of the more recent films. :D

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Though the more members, the greater the range and more titles. :)

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've been with screen select for about 6 weeks or so and had 40 DVDs via their 3 dvds at a time package. Turnaround has been excellent, although it has started to slow down, I think due to Xmas. I've had several series box sets so far and they have been sent in order, however I did have a couple of films in the middle of the sopranos box set, so I had a wait between the first two disks and the last two disks of a week or so.

I like the randomness of not knowing what you are going to get (I've got nearly 250 dvds in my queue, just the urgent stuff ;) ) but its not much cop if you want to watch a certain film on a certain day.

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Is anyone else experiencing even slower turnarounds with Lovefilm these days ? I posted 2 DVDs Sunday and they are still not showing up as being returned, this is happening more frequently with me.

16. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Well screenselect have continued to be slow, it usually ends up that I post back 3 DVDs (same time, same post box) via Monday's post yet they only recieve one by Tuesday :/

So I guess the problem is at more than one company.

17. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ScreenSelect are definately getting slower, acknowledging returns are taking longer therefore turnaround suffers.This is probably as a result of all their extra customers and not expanding their operation to cover their success. It remains a good deal however.

18. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Very surprisingly Blockbuster are the best I have tried
    Turnaround is very fast (often less than 3 working days), and they work on Saturday. 1 month free trial, most 2 disk SE movies are counted as 1 rental (just had Troy 2 disk, the 4400 2 disk, pulp fiction 2 disk) and even items on 3 disks like Himalaya are counted as 1 rental.

Well done Blockbuster, I will be sticking with you for a while.

19. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,239
    Hi,

What if dvds go missing in the post, either coming to you or when you send them back, who is too blame? and pays any costs,

and can you prove you sent them?.

Im not saying royal mail are going to nick em, but sometimes things get lost, touch wood, never had any problems with postal services, and think they do a fantastic job, but i might start using online rental, and was wondering.

rai

20. Charlton Fan

Charlton Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    In the 2 years or so I've been with LoveFilm, DVDs have gone missing in the post twice. They basically say wait 3-4 more days in case it turns up, (their end or mine depending on where they were being sent to), and then they delete it from your a/c and the next one sent. I haven't been charged yet, although they do say that if it happens often, they can either charge you for the DVD or you lose your a/c. In reality, not sure if its ever happened to anybody though?

Chris

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I managed to rent 14 discs from dvdselect in the first month, though this was over xmas/NYE. The 2nd month I've watched, (well I share it with another person), 18 discs so far, with 1 week to go. Del can vary, but this may be the PO as much as select. There's no way of telling. Would I be right to assume that they are shut Sat and Sun? If so, I might as well post discs back on the Sun. Recently posted a disc in town which SSelect received on Mon. Must be a post pick up late Sun afternoon or something. Was towns main PO box.

22. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Netflix was very good - but they packed it in - gone back to my £3.50 a week door to door man

23. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem. Return 3 dvd's on a Monday. One registers on Tuesday, the next registers returned on Wednesday, and the third on Thursday. Highly unlikely if they were posted at the same time! This is just a ploy to hold back on discs.

Screen Select also have a terrible time deliverying new releases. I have 5 fairly new releases at the top of my list, the oldest being around a month old, but none are delivered. New releases just sit on my list and they delivery the older ones. I am not on a trial. I might just switch back to Sainsbury's/Lovefilm end of the month.

24. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Re my Lovefilm problem:-
    After 2 emails wihout a reply, the DVDs I sent back Sunday are now showing as being returned. The one I sent back Tuesday is also showing as returned at the same time. I do think they are limiting the number of DVDs you have out. I've asked them if the reduction in service since they started the Tesco service is indicative of things to come, I wonder if I'll get a reply ?
    I'm averaging 3 DVDs per week now, it used to be more but the delay at their end is making me wonder if it's worth going for the unlimited.

25. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    change to Blockbuster, I've had 20 dvds in 20 days (OK so some were doubles)

26. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with blockbusters, whenever I returned 3 DVDs in one go there seemed to be a staggered return of the next DVDs!

27. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I use Tesco's sevice and I'm getting at least 3 disks a week. I've been using them since October and I've yet to have a problem with dirty or unplayable disks.

I have tried most of the other companies such as

Screen Select - very good to start with but then slowed up to a near standstill
    Blockbusters - very quick turnaround, 2 disk films came as 1 selection, but the disks were filthy and very badly scratched.
    Global e-rental - poor selection, poor turnaround and poorly cared for disks which are obviously ex-rentals some weeks only 1 disk out of 3 would play!

The only gripe with Tesco's is that there customer service leaves little to be desired, as after I recieved the wrong disk they didn't respond to the problem report I filled in.

But on the whole I'm reasonably happy with them.

28. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It has happened far too often for it not to be a deliberate policy.

29. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Interestingly ScreenSelect have just changed their policy - those people on the 4 discs-at-one-time tariff (£19.99) are now restricted to 15 rentals per month, due to some members "abusing" the service.

Been with screenselect for 5 months now, I've found they're better than LoveFilm all round (though they do seem to be getting a little slower).

30. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If I were to sign up with blockbuster or Tesco would it be possible to rent TV shows like Taken and Buffy.

Thanks