Renting a flat second home want Sky no phone

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cutes6, May 22, 2004.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My job has required me to rent a flat and live away from home, it has no phone connected and I want sky. It looks like it has a sky+ dish but normal sky will do. I am there for 6 months then I have to buy another flat to live in.

I have sky+ in my family home which is over 1 yr old.

I am trying to work out the cheapest way to get sky in the flat which is fully pre wired.Sky say I have to set up a new contract and it needs to be connected to a phone - this is going to be very expensive and I want to watch euro2004.

Could I take my existing sky+ box from home and set up a new contract at home which already has a phone line - although will they start a new contract at my home address will they cancel my old card ? If I go this route and the system in the flats is not sky+ I presume the box will work on standard digital system I will just loose some of the features

Or could I buy a standard box for the flat and get a contract to watch sky sports without paying for a phone line to be connected?

Given that I am only there for 6 months does anyone have any ideas of the best way to do this ??? any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Buy a cheap second hand box and take out a new subscription tied to this digibox. If as you say the flat is all wired up for SKY then just connect the digibox to the LNB cable and you are ready to go.
    A normal subscription from SKY (without installation etc) does not require a phone line, I am pretty sure that is the case regardless of what CS said.
    There are currently a couple of offers for subscription only deals.

You will be tied to a 12 month contract however should you move again and put the SKY+ and this digibox in the same household I can not see a reason why you couldn't cancel the SKY+ subscription (service/channels) and then use the contracted account and upgrade it to SKY+.

What about a Freeview alternative?

3. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Starburst, thanks for your reply.

I thought you had to connect to a phone line - great news if you don't.

I am not sure I can get the Euro2004 football ie sports channels on a freeview box.

If I buy a sky+ box will I still be able to use it as a normal sky box ie no recording etc

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The phone connection is required if you take a subsidised installation deal or the non-subscription hardware deal.
    Since you are just considering a subscription only deal there is no subsidy on any hardware in return for a phone connection.

Euro2004 is carried on the BBC and ITV, maybe not every game live but most of them will be with time shifted games and highlights packages.
    As long as you live in a Freeview coverage area and the flats aerial setup is capable of receiving all the DTT muxes it's a viable alternative to SKY especially as there are a few HD based Freeview boxes on the market now.

SKY+ will work with a single connection but you won't be able to use any of the recording features but's it's overkill unless you intend to make full use of the SKY+ at some future point.