Rented property - home cinema setup advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by silicon30, Aug 26, 2018.

1. silicon30

silicon30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

First thread so go easy...

My wife and I just moved into new rented accommodation that is substantially larger than our old house. The benefit is that I now have a dedicated 15'x12' room for home theatre setup.

Limitations:

1) Rented property so no wall mounting, cutting into walls, etc etc.
    2) Its an uncarpeted room (big old solid timber floorboards)

Current equipment:

TV: Samsung 46" LCD 2010

Amp: Denon AVR-1911

Front Speakers: Pair of monitor audio bronze 6
    Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 09.59.08.png

Centre speaker: Monitor audio silver C150
    Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 10.02.01.png

Rear speakers: Old Pair bowers and wilkins 601 - similar to below pic
    Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 10.03.11.png

Sub: No sub currently

cables - 1m Chord company cables

solid oak tv stand with space for amp etc.

Now I know this is a hodgepodge of equipment but all has been purchased separately over the years.

Aim:

As good a 4k HDR home cinema setup as I can make for approx. £2500 budget including all the bits above.

Questions:

Im going to replace the TV, so could do with advice on that, is it worth a new amp that supports dolby atmos? Should I bother with a sub - the fronts are fairly beefy already. How should i best sound proof the wooden floor? Need a good quality UHD blurray player. Should i replace any speakers? Should i spend any money on dedicated wall soundproofing foam as the room is fairly hollow?

I want the best possible picture quality so more of the budget towards that please.

I plan on using netflix and amazon video as well as UHD blurray sources as my main.

what should i set my expectations to?

Thanks!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,987
    Welcome to the forums matey. I would certainly buy some form of heavy rug for your solid wood floor. Heavy pillows etc on the sofa will make a difference to the sound of a hollow room, maybe thick curtains also.

Don't bother with the foam tiles as soundproofing, I'm certain they don't make a difference.

I think you will.notice a big difference if you purchase a sub and add it to the setup, although your speakers are beefy, they don't go as low or hit as hard as a dedicated sub. You can also buy subwoofer isolation platforms to keep the sub off the wooden floor.

I'm assuming if you went the Dolby Atmos route, then you will be using upfiring speakers for Atmos? these usually sit just above or on top of.your existing speakers, as wall or ceiling mounting is not an option for you.

There's plenty of good deals on 4k uhd players, most will incorporate smart features and apps such as Netflix and Amazon.

Not sure about what tv you should go for, have a good read through the tv forums on this site, it's a great place for advice.

3. silicon30

silicon30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Havin started to read a bit more - can anyone confirm if my Denon avr-1911 will support the availabity to play back HDR? Dolby vision or HLG HDR or any of these??

Do I need a new amp ?!???

4. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,987
    You will need a new amp that can pass through all of the above.

5. silicon30

silicon30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahhh,

Ok thanks. Will need to factor that cost in!!

Best brand of amp these days? Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha? For say <£500

6. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,987
    Depends on the sound you like or are used to, I picked up a marantz sr6012 for £750, if you like the denon sound, there's plenty that should fit.your budget at that price range.

7. Cherrywood

Cherrywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    How long you planning to stay at the property?
    You may be better off getting a great 5.1 than trying to go for 5.1.4 as up friring are not the greatest.

As per previous comments, large rugs and Thick Curtains will help lots. Maybe so acoustic panels if you are happy hanging them.

Regarding AVR, technology changes constantly, so if you are only staying in rented 12-18months. Maybe look at older model AVRS that support HDR but not ATMOS etc and put the spare money to a bigger a TV and better Sub.

If you have neighbours etc, then you wont really be able to do any sound proofing so again maybe save moeny holding off on a Sub for now. Might be worth speaking with neighbors also to see how loud you can play movies etc without sound complaints.

8. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Welcome to AVF

I wouldn't bother with upfiring atmos and instead use your budget to get a better 5.1 setup!

9. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Nothing you have mentioned will help with sound proofing. Sound treatment within the room certainly, but for actual soundproofing you would need to be putting acoustic / double layers of plasterboard up, improving and sealing the door areas, probably thick carpet and underlay, plus plugging all air gaps. Sound is like water, it will escape through any hole or crack in the room, and bass will travel through walls and floorboards. If you are in a detached property you will probably be fine though. Maybe get a better amp and TV, see what it sounds like, then consider a sub (bearing in mind the sub will cause the biggest issue with sound leakage).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  10. silicon30

silicon30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advice.

Planning on a longer term rent so 3-4 years. Its a big semi with very thick old walls - you really can't hear through to neighbours at all particularly. Im not fussed with dolby atmos and am happy with a 5.1 setup - wouldnt have bass cranked up anyways.

So im thinking a 4k HDR tv (LG B7 or samsung led series - need to see them both in the flesh to compare tech) maybe linked to the denon avr x2400h with all existing speakers and a sub to finish.

tv approx. £1300 for the 55 LG b7 and £299 for the denon so im at £1600 so plenty spare.

Any advice for a 65in sub £2000 that ppl recommend?

11. pcaddy

pcaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I've seen the LG OLEDB7 65inch available for £1999 somewhere lately it has HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG, cannot remember where at the moment but I would definitely go with a 65inch OLED as the heart of your cinema set up, after all cinema is about pictures and IMO OLED gives the best picture. 4K Blu Ray players have dual HDMI outputs for people in your position with AVRs that cannot pass any form of HDR so connect to the TV and AVR to provide HD sound, this will allow you to keep your existing amp and speakers but forgo Dolby Atmos. I would suggest that you get a subwoofer, I myself have a BK XLS 200MK2 an excellent sub for a smaller room. BK subs are sold directly from the manufacturer so no retailers are involved and you get an excellent sub at a reasonable price. This would be slightly over your £2500 budget but not by much more than a couple of £100s and provide an excellent system. Good luck with your cinema project and I hope you have many hours of happy watching.:)

12. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    If I were you I'd go for the 65" B7, stick to 5.0 for now with your existing receiver and speakers (but I'd seriously consider a sub later on, some right here on AVF in the classified section), and go for a 4K UHD blu-ray player with 2 HDMI outputs that can access the streaming services too. That way you can send the audio to your receiver that already accepts all 7.1 formats, and video to the TV.

As others have suggested, the biggest impact of any one component of a home cinema is the room itself. Ensure the layout/symmetry and positioning of the seats/sofa is not hard against the rear wall, speakers are correctly positioned in relation to the seating position and any manufacturer's guidance in placement is followed (usually this is in regard to how far away from boundaries they ought to be to limit boundary gain). Hard surfaces will make for an incredibly acoustically excitable room whilst soft furnishings will limit room reverberation or sounds bouncing all over the place. Just clap your hands in different rooms and you'll hear what I mean. Sounds reflect in all directions, hence why a nice thick rug is often recommended for rooms with hard floors. Soft fabric sofas are also better than leather in this respect. The rear of the room is an ideal place for book cases. Placing items of varying depths inside will help disperse the sound in all different directions and even trap some frequencies. This helps keep the energy in the room, but reduce the amount of unwanted reflections.

For the best experience, you'll probably want to also consider the timbre of your speakers, and whether you prefer the B&W sound, or MA. At some point in the future, I recommend budgeting for the net cost (you've got some value in the speakers you have now) to get them the same brand, same range, same size and spec drivers. Some even say to make the centre channel identical to the fronts, not just the manufacturer's centre model. This will massively improve cohesion of sounds produced by multiple speakers as it travels around the surround sound environment, and steer much better. Also another tip is ensure the tweeters across the front speakers are at the same height, or at least angled towards the listener's ears.

There are many more things that can make an improvement to your home cinema outside of buying kit. I hope my dwelling on these items inspires you to spend time setting up the room correctly, rather than have you got the latest AV receiver. The next most important thing of course is content. Why bother with a home cinema if there's nothing to play in there? So definitely think about balancing kit and content.

Hope this post is helpful...