Rented Blu-ray Problems

Richmate

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Having some issues when playing rented blu-ray discs on my Sony BDP-550 (I have not yet experienced any problems with newly purchased blu-ray discs). Often half way through a movie I will get either picture break up or the movie will stop altogether. This is getting rather frustrating.:mad:

The discs tend to contain the usual fingerprints on them but once these are cleaned off the disc seems to work (well most of the time). Thing is I never really had this problem with DVD's. Some dvds I have watched in the past contained smudges scratches and fingerprints and worked without a problem.

Question is do Blu-ray players tend to be more sensitive to marks on the disc or do you think there might be an issue/problem with my player.

Im beginning to wonder if its worth renting discs anymore as it seems to happen most of the time.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Blu ray discs may well be more sensitive than DVD's? However I would always expect problems with a disc if there's visable fingerprints etc on it be it a CD/DVD or Blu Ray.

Just make sure when you rent a disc you ask the store to clean it for you. The discs I get from my blockbuster are always clean when I get them.

Just get yourself a disc cleaning spray/cloth/polish set from maplins or somewhere and give the rented disc a clean before playing, thats waht i do and it works a treat!:thumbsup:

You can also ask for a refund when you return the disc if your viewings interupted due to the disc being dirty, when they get sick of refunding you they can start making sure the discs are spotless before loaning you one.

If a new disc works fine then it can't be your player, only there dirty discs;)

Thanks for the replies folks:thumbsup:

I guess I will just have to be better at remembering to check and clean the discs before playing them.

Heres to uninterrupted blu-ray viewing, Cheers folks:beer:

Rich

I have noticed the same problem on pre-owned discs from cex. Had to return Transformers as the disc would lock up on a certain scence every time. My brand new disks have played fine. I think BDs are a fair bit more sensitive to marks effecting play. So much for that "protective layer"

I hired 4 films on BR from blockbuster yesterday - one of them (Terminator Salvation) fires up OK but once at the main menu screen I cannot use the arrow buttons to scroll around the menu options. :confused:

On all of the other 3 discs I can scroll to my hearts content.

I have cleaned the disc to within an inch of its life and yet still no joy. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had similar issues at all?

Terminator Salvation needed a firmware fix/update to work on a few players, this may be your problem if it's the only disc you've had problems with.

I've never had a problem with rented blu-rays except a couple of times when the discs were actually cracked. Always worth a check and a polish before playing them! Rented HD DVDs were awful, BR seems much more robust. :)

Terminator Salvation needed a firmware fix/update to work on a few players, this may be your problem if it's the only disc you've had problems with.

Cheers for that - now I need to find the firmware update info. Damn technology gets on my nerves. :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom