1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental media - Orange discs....?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mafri1972, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one of those 'I wonder why' queries - I've noticed recently that a number of DVD's I have rented have been completely orange in colour. I wondered whether this might be an anti-counterfeiting thing, but don't really see how - after all, how would someone know to expect an orange disc...?

Anyone know why these have been introduced?

Martin

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Perhaps to distinguish the actual discs apart - orange = rental copy; silver/gold = retail copy. So that less-than-scrupulous rental stores can't buy the (much cheaper) retail edition and then profit from renting it out. Just an idea.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought an audio CD from i-Classics in the USA (they have authorised access to CD masters of a load of deleted CDs and do copies to order $9.99 + P&P: about £8 total) and it is bright orange. I was so surprised that I thought it might be unplayable as some 'dark' CD dyes were troublesome a while ago.
    So colour could be used to indicate a commercial copy.

4. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I read somewhere that there will be cd's/dvd's that will 'expire' after a predetermined time and become useless.
    I think it has something to do with the dye fading and the idea is so that places like blockbusters rent out the discs which are then recycled after they become unplayable.
    I'm not sure whether they just get thrown away or they have to be taken back to where you rented them from, if it's the latter it doesn't really make sense as you could have just returned the 'normal' disc anyway :confused:

Has anybody else heard of this or should I go and take my medication :zonked:

5. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    saw an article on teletext (bbc1 pg547) last year about this seams the trials bombed so they put it on the backburner so put that medicine down !