Rental market, very poor.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rob, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but what a poor state of affairs the DVD rental market is.

Just hired The Parole Officer only to find no extras( which I expected), only trailers for other rentals, but to find the disc is 4:3 only and has a stereo only sountrack is unforgiveable.

I paid £3.25 for the privelage. I should have bought the proper version for £14.99 complete with 5.1 sountrack, anamorphic transfer and a host of extras. At least I could have enjoyed the movie in its proper state and sold it afterwards if necessary. I certainly won't be in a hurry to rent any more.

Another case of Joe public getting screwed. :mad:

Rob.

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Hi

Where did you rent from?

I have found the local Blockbusters to be really good. Mostly now films come with 2 DVDs one for the extras, just as you would buy them. All DVDs hired so far have been widescreen, with 5.1 Dolby with the DTS on those films that have them.

As far as I am aware they are identical to the retail copies.

Regards

Philip

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Philip,

You said: "Mostly now films come with 2 DVDs one for the extras, just as you would buy them. All DVDs hired so far have been widescreen, with 5.1 Dolby with the DTS on those films that have them. As far as I am aware they are identical to the retail copies."

Actually, you'll find that there are still many films where the retail copy differs a fair amount from the rental version. Normally, in those cases when the films do differ, it's normally a case of the rental version having:-

- no extras
    - a 4:3 print
    - only a stereo soundtrack

Admittedly, this varies depending on who is releasing the film, but even then, sometimes companies will release a title at the same time, both to rental and retail, and it will STILL be different.

However, luckily, many companies now realise the futility in having to produce two different versions of a film, and simply release the same DVD edition, to both rental and retail places, e.g. Columbia Tristar.

Pooch

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I rented it from a branch of Choices video, simelar to Blockbuster. Don't know if this is a local or regional chain. As there are seperate versions for rental & purchase, it wouldn't make any difference where you hired it from. I guess some discs will be better than others. Just read the cover first, the mistake I made :rolleyes:

Still think its very poor though.

Rob.

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Hi

Well I have got through plenty of rented DVDs and have never yet found one that has had only 2 channel stereo. It has always been 5.1 Dolby at minimum with more and more seeming to have DTS, but this is always hidden under "Languages", and yes when set the player lights up with the DTS logo along with nice piano intro, so it is there.

As for the extra's I could not be 100% sure they are identical to the retail version without comparing the two. However where there are no extras on the DVD containing the film, then a second DVD is included, otherwise extras have appeared on the same DVD.

The quality must vary I guess with which store you use.

Regards

Philip

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,053
    dolby digital, stereo, dts, etc are always under the languages setup, they're not hidden at all !!

7. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that some rental copies are different.

My uncle rented Jurassic Park III from Blockbuster and this came without any extras.

It did have 5.1 though.

As far as I know, there are rental only versions of some titles. It's always best to read the box.

Cheers

Laurel

8. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i work in a video shop so i can clear some of this up.
    firstly very few rental dvds are 4:3 most are widescreen presentations as they should be.
    again most dvds come with a 5.1 soundtrack, to release the films in 2 different formats will require 2 different masters. as this is more expensive nearly always what you get n the rental version will be the same as the retail just without the extras.
    most rental dvds say very clearly on the case that they are.
    colombia tristar do not release seperate copies to rental and retail, they just produce the retail copy and that is what is rented in video shops. warner do 2 different types of case so rental shops can display amarays instead of snapper cases like the recent AI release. haha no more snappers for me!
    nearly all film companies now release their dvds to rental first, warner is the only company that has said that they never will and with paramounts recent decision to start doing so you'll have to get used to rental versions, it won't be long efore warner are the only retail ony ones left.

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for clearing that up Daniel.

Rob.