1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental DVDs getting stuck

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by swarrans, Aug 30, 2004.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using Lovefilm on 30 day free trial and it really seems to work well EXCEPT they seem to add a clear film over the top of the DVDs which is causing nearly all of them to get stuck in my player (a Sony NS900V) - requiring me to take the lid off and extract the disk each time.
    It's never happened once with the DVDs I own.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    It seems totally daft if they're doing it to avoid cosmetic damage on the discs

Simon

2. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    Sounds daft as in my experience the damage happens on the reading side not the picture side on rentals.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    No problems on my Sony NSV930 with LoveFilm DVDs...

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Must have rented over a hundred discs from Lovefilm, only ever had Fantasia fail. They compensated.

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's strange if no-one else experiences this problem - i would have thought a Sony NS900V would be sufficiently "good" player not to be the cause of the problem.
    There is definitely a strange clear film covering on the discs from Lovefilm (maybe all rentals?) which increases the thickness of the disc and also the "grippy-ness" of the top surface.
    I'm not imagining this - honest - I go put my own discs in and out all day, but as soon as I put a rental in it get stuck!

On this basis I won't be able to continue my rental contract, but I guess all the others are likely to put the same covering on their discs?...

Simon

6. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried a couple of DVD rental companies and never noticed any thin layer like you're describing. Maybe it's only love film DVD rentals that have this?

My main problem with rentals of any kind is the way there are mistreated which causes them to not work properly, in some cases.