1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental DVD quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gorkitek, Jan 22, 2005.

1. gorkitek

gorkitek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else found that certain recent rental DVD's have been converted to 4:3 (Pan and Scan) with no widescreen option? One particular recent case was "The Cooler". I subsequently wrote to Blockbuster who said that the aspect ratio was the movie distributor's responsibility (I imagine that the movie Director would be appalled if this were true).

We later made a one to one comparison in our cinema (SDI/G70) with the retail version and it was hardly the same movie given the substantial loss of content and the change in visual perspective with very crude scanning to keep the scene central.

The local store manager said there was nothing wrong which he proved by demonstating the rental version on the in-store monitor - which was - you guessed it - 4:3! He did however credit the rental fee whilst claiming that it was our equipment that was at fault (or by implication my inability to use it).

I didn't argue with him!

G

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I would have argued with him till he went loopy. The manager in our local store makes two short planks look like einstein. (As you can tell I dont like him very much)

I bought a brand new game from there and it kept crashing on the third level, he insisted that the ps2 only 'accesses the disc once when it loads up' 'then it doesnt access the disc again not even to load a level' See what I mean?? A right twonk

I ended up getting my money back as they didnt have another copy, I sent in the reinforcements (my mother) and I think she almost put him in hospital with a nervous breakdown.

Some staff are alright but others are a complete waste of time, which is why I now buy most of my stuff online from online stores and of coarse you lovely people.

All of my ex-rentals so far have been fine by the way, WS etc.... No probs

tris

EDIT: (Ummm I'm not going to get banned for all this freedom of speech am I??)

3. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this problem with rental copies. Recently Memento, I Robot, Troy and The Butterfly Effect have all featured those annoying black bars. These are hardly old films! It would be nice if they were anamorphic widescreen, but i guess they're rental copies and if the movie is good enough i'd get the dvd release anyway. Still its annoying, and i agree you dont get the full effect.

4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399

One of the ones I got is I robot, and it is WS. Maybe they have different versions??

tris

5. josaka

josaka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Originally Posted by silent ninja
    I've had this problem with rental copies. Recently Memento, I Robot, Troy and The Butterfly Effect have all featured those annoying black bars. These are hardly old films! It would be nice if they were anamorphic widescreen, but i guess they're rental copies and if the movie is good enough i'd get the dvd release anyway. Still its annoying, and i agree you dont get the full effect.

I hope you are being ironic!

but just in case... these films are anamorphic widesceen.. but they are showing in the original cinema ratio(give or take) ..not 16:9 which is like the new 4:3! ....16:9 crops most films unless they are shot like that..

so hence the black bars..

6. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that was letterbox widescreen? Shouldnt an anamorphic widescreen dvd fill my widescreen TV (or a 4:3 tv by squashing)? There should be no black bars, correct? Or maybe i'm confused...

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,279
    Just because it is anamorphic widescreen it doesnt mean it will fill the whole screen.
    If the film is 2.35:1 anamorphic like alot of films are (e.g. I Robot, Lord of the Rings Trilogy) then you will still have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, it is only films in 1.85:1 anamorphic that will fill the whole screen (e.g. Resident Evil, Predator, Back to the Future Trilogy)

*I know there are other ratios but those two seem to be the most commen, that is why I used them as examples*

8. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I didn't know that.

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
    Yes, 1.85:1 is the widest ratio a widescreen tv will support, Of course anything lower than this such as 1.78:1 (common for tv boxsets) will also fill all the screen. Anything wider than 2.35:1 will leave huge borders on your screen which is where anamorphic comes in, the term anamorphic is basically a technique used to increase the number of horizontal lines of resolution. A 2.35:1 anamorphic title is perfectly watchable, but try watching a 2.35:1 non anamorphic title (such as the Leon R2 release) and you will get far more borders than actual picture.

At the moment there are far more dvd's released in 2.35:1 than anything else, unfortunately new films are being increasingly shot in 2.40:1, resulting in slightly less picture once on disc. How about a new Anamorphic Plus technique for the new high def discs then?.

1.33:1 is the correct aspect for old 4:3 tv's, hence on widescreen models we have to stretch the image to fill the entire frame, and then it looks naff lol.

Ordered the wrong

10. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rental quality hmm.......quite a high ratio of my rental experiences involve
    picture breakup and the jumping back of chapters,and once it starts doing the jiggy it totally spoils the moment for me.
    This is usually on newish rental titles like Collateral and Day after Tomorrow,to name a couple I can recall.
    I've often wondered wether they produce inferior copies for rental purposes,
    with cheaper materials or some such,cos when I get my own copies they are always ok?

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,279
    Its all to do with how the rental copies are treated, I work at a local shop and rent out DVDs every day to people and everytime they are returned they look worse and worse and eventually you will get it back and told it doesnt work and just breaks up. This has nothing to do with how the disc was produced or because its a rental copy, its because the majority of people who rent DVDs think they can do what ever they like with the DVD and it will keep on working and that just isnt the case.

12. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my experience of rental is that usually (unless your early in their shelf life) the discs are dirty and/or scratched.
    I really grudge paying £3.75 for a film hire (local Blockbuster), when I can buy from the likes of cdwow for less than a tenner.

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from the likes of CD Wow?

where they send you....wait for it....rental copies :laugh:

rent 'n burn, my friends.

14. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've never , ever had a rental copy from cdwow (bought approx 70 from them). They are for me the best R3 retailer with the best customer service

15. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, ive only ordered once from them, so maybe i got unlucky

one single DVD, and a three-DVD box set (3 separate cases in one box)

the single was shiny new and shrink-wrapped.

the box set was shrink wrapped, but two of the DVDs are rental copies - it says so on the case and the DVD itself

i wasnt too bothered as there are no rental ads or the such, but i wasn't impressed either, as the only reason i didn't rent n burn was these were films i love and i wanted to keep the case, liners etc...but they have 'for rental only' plastered all over them. trying to organise a re-delivery from Hong Kong wouldn't be worth it...

16. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Granted,but the ones I've had have only been out a day or 2 to get around
    that particular problem,and they looked fine to me.

Edit: I've used cd-wow too and the discs I have are brand new.

17. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they have only been out a day or two the discs should be in good condition.

The fact is that if you buy a DVD you take care of it because it is yours but when some people rent them out they know it is not theirs so they dont have to look after it and they get scratched and full of cr@p. Basic fact people dont look after them, Can't remeber the last time I rented a DVD as £3.75 for a two night rental is a rip off I would rather add the extra money and buy it in the shops

18. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,279
    Another factor is that more and more DVDs are getting more complicated when being authored and this can cause problems with some DVD players, only yesterday I had a DVD returned because the girl said it wouldnt play on their DVD player but we only recieved it in on Monday and it was only rented out once before she took it out so any playback problems cant be due to wear and tear so it has to be down to incompatibilty with the player and this is a problem that is becoming more commen. People who bought their DVD player years ago seem to think just because it plays everything they have bought it will play everything there is and that isnt the case but you try telling them that lol

19. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got just over 500 DVD's and have only had a problem with 1 disc that wont play in my machine but it plays in other DVD players in the house. Only 1 compatability problem out of 500 DVD's not bad.

20. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same problem as Indiana Jones, I rent DVD'S at my shop, I have people bring back DVD's that they have snapped in half, or they come back with more finger prints on them than the database of c.s.i, :D

21. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

A very good point you have there Indy, I had considered that a possibility,
    it is only my reluctance in throwing my player which cost £550 6 years ago,and was supposed to play everything at the time and didn't even then! looks like time for an upgrade.

cheers

Brolac

22. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Too True. I used to have a Samsung DVD79 (I think) player, and remember buying both the Matrix and also T2 ultimate Edition.
    For The Matrix the player wouldn't play the 'follow the white rabbit' feature, and also in T2 it wouldn't access the extended version (via easter egg).
    I thought it was a thing of the past, but I suppose for people with really old players it is still an issue.

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,279
    I also had a Samsung 709 and it needed to have a firmware updated chip installed in order for it to play The Matrix back correctly due to the seamless branching it uses but as the discs got more and more complicated it just wouldnt read them, main reason I upgraded was for the Alien Quadrilogy as every film has seamless branching and it was hell trying to get them to work.

24. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yes, I remember getting Samsung out and they upgraded it for The Matrix. But T2 made me get another player.
    the old Samsung is still going strong in my dads house though :clap:
    It was a good cheap player for it's time.