1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rent or Buy?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bobones, Feb 14, 2002.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got my 1st DVD player at Christmas (Tosh 210E) and bought my 1st batch of DVDs last night. Up till then I was renting them from my local vid shop.

I ended up spending around £95 on 6 dvds (T2 Ultimate, Matrix Collectors Ed, Enemy at the Gates, American Pie, Mummy Uncut, Exorcist) and it got me asking myself how much had I spent on rentals. I wrote down all the titles I could remember renting and was pretty shocked when I counted 35 at a cost of around £90. I can't help wondering if this a better way to spend £90.

So, how do you feed your dvd lust? What's do you think is the best value, purchase or rental? How often on average do you watch a dvd you've purchased?

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My rule of thumb is to buy if I intend to watch it more than twice.

I tend to only watch a rental once.

I also buy 2nd hand DVDs for £7-10 watch them (and any extras) and sometimes sell them on again for £7-10 depending if I like the film. It is hit and miss with auctions like e-bay to get a bargain and then sell them on once you've watched 'em but sometimes works out cheaper than just renting.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I buy all my discs and then go thru the collection randomly watching them.

I now buy R1 pretty much all the time, so get the films before they hit the rental shops anyway.

I did rent a few discs when I first bought my dvd player but dont bother anymore. The ones I did rent were scratched to buggery as well.

I want to build up a decent collection so will continue buying my own.

cheers

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    Will always buy, nothing like having the full collection of certain type of film, or a certain actors work...

Plus you can just, say, "hey i fancy a film", put in the player and away you go, you don't to go through the hassle of going outside in that crappy weather to your local blockbuster, only to discover the film you want, is already out...!

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Some studios dont put extra's on rental copies either so, you often only get the film with no comenetries, trailers or any of the other stuff they put on a disc.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like graham posted, i'll buy it if it's a favourite and i'll watch it over and over (like terminator, or alien films).

try www.in-dvds.co.uk for a postal dvd rental service.