• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Rent or buy, what do you do these days?

Hades

Distinguished Member
I got into all things Blu Nov 08 and have been steadily building up a nice collection, which currently stands at 105. But I have put the brakes on now (credit crunch and all that).

Since getting the BD55 I have not purchased any more SD DVD's, in fact I have sold over 300 from my collection.

To be honest it not the picture that's totally blowing me away, its actually the soundtracks and especially DTS-HD MA :D I know some don't hear much difference, but I can certainly hear it (and I would guess my neighbours can too at times) :D

Between now and the end of March there are around 30 Blu-ray titles that I am interested in. To buy them all would cost a small fortune, some might end up keepers and many would have to be sold at a loss on here (or a possible profit on eBay) :devil:

So just this week I have signed up to LOVEFiLM's 90 day free trial and added all those titles to my rental list. My trial won't end till towards the end of April. When this trial is over, I will look at other online rental outlets for free trials and there is even supposed to be a way of getting another free trial with LOVEFiLM.

Saving myself a tidy sum of money and if any of these titles BLOW me away, then I will wait for a bargain on said title and purchase later :smashin:

There are however certain titles that will be day one purchases for me, if and when they see the light of day on Blu.

Star Wars
LOTR Trilogy
Jurassic Park + Lost World
Jaws + Jaws 2
Gladiator
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Alien Trilogy

To name but a few.....

So what are your Blu-ray habits these days?

I buy favourite films which I know I'll want to rewatch and foreign releases of more obscure films which are unavalable in the UK (the second one mostly goes for SDs).

I rent all new releases of films which I haven't seen.

ilovegaming

Standard Member
I tend to only buy during sales or if there is something I just have to have like Pineapple Express best film from Seth Rogan yet!!!

elbowdan

I only tend to buy new releases that I either like already or feel will be a worthwhile purchase (I do make the odd mistake though). Also, titles on sale that I always wanted that never got round to buying first time round.
I gave up buying SD for myself back in Oct 07 when I got my first HD DVD player and even knew then I would get into Blu-Ray too so there wasn't a need to carry on there.

As for Rentals - All the discs I'm hesitant to buy will become rental fodder whether it's SD or HD and it's a great way to catch up on stuff that's still not released on HD yet. Also it keeps the other half happy if she wants something mushy to watch it can be rented and viewed in another room (ha ha, no I'm not really 'that' bad). Plus there's no rush on rentals but I do prefer a high turnover just to make the pennies count. It's only when you've rented a shocker that's been sitting there for two months you actually realise you could have owned that same disc twice over for keeps.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Pretty much rent now, unless it's a AAA title that I really really want. Lost count of the number of BluRays that I've bought which are still sitting on the shelf. Such a waste of money!

ilovegaming

Standard Member
I've got 2 Blu-ray films, as they where the 2 I got when I bought my ps3, wouldn't bother buying blu-rays as you can get a normal dvd for £6 and I would pay £20 for a blu-ray, not worth it!!!

Hades

Distinguished Member
I've got 2 Blu-ray films, as they where the 2 I got when I bought my ps3, wouldn't bother buying blu-rays as you can get a normal dvd for £6 and I would pay £20 for a blu-ray, not worth it!!!
You have a good Blu-ray player and your not going to bother with Blu-ray :eek:

I don't bother with DVD's any more, its Blu all the way now.

Hades

Distinguished Member
Pretty much rent now, unless it's a AAA title that I really really want. Lost count of the number of BluRays that I've bought which are still sitting on the shelf. Such a waste of money!
Know what you mean.

I went mad gather a collection last Nov, have over 100 Blu's here on my shelf with loads still sealed. I think I need to get my sensible head on soon and have a clear out of non essential titles.

Just going to rent all the time unless its that 'must have' Blu that just has to be added to the collection :)

ilovegaming

Standard Member
Wouldn't be worth it, as hardly watch films and when I do its only really something I want to see, so would be wasting the money at the moment, even though I get all my films / games at trade price, not complaining, but still wouldn't buy a blu-ray at the moment :)

Leumas_10

Like others have said really, I only buy films I'm pretty sure I'll like and rewatch, or new transfers of my favourites. So glad I rent new releases - I've seen some proper stinkers lately, regardless of pq etc, if the films crap I won't be watching it again so wasted money imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom