Question Rent 4K iTunes movies

shadow85

Established Member
Reaction score
Would like to know what is the cheapest way I can view Matrix 4K HDR on my LG Oled E6.

So far it seems I can rent it from iTunes for $3.99.

Firstly does anyone know if I only rent it from iTunes, will it stream in 4K HDR? The title page says its available in 4K but I am not sure if renters will get it at that resolution.

Secondly, will I be able to use my PC to play it back through the iTunes store on my LG Oled E6 TV and not have to worry about buying the appleTV, or will I need the apple TV to playback the movie on this TV? I know LG Oled models 2018+ come with Apple TV app but not the earlier models, so I am unsure if I can just use my Windows PC to play it back on my 2016 LG E6?

It should be the same 4K film with Diolby Vision and Atmos. I'd maybe suggest you buy it anyway given that it would only be another £2.50 to do so which is better calue for moiney in my opinion.

You may also find the following of interest:

and:

Note that you can't download the 4K version and the playback device will determine the version you get streamed to you. The capabilities of the display and any other intermediary devices will also play a part in determining what you end up seeing.

The itunes app on a PC won't play itunes movies in 4K, just HD

A possible alternative to an Apple TV device might be to get one of the cheaper streaming devices that now have the Apple TV app (i.e. 4K Roku or Firestick). The Roku Apple TV app will play itunes movies in 4K HDR but not DV/Atmos. That was also the case with the Firestick last October, not sure if things have advanced since then.

The itunes app on a PC won't play itunes movies in 4K, just HD

A possible alternative to an Apple TV device might be to get one of the cheaper streaming devices that now have the Apple TV app (i.e. 4K Roku or Firestick). The Roku Apple TV app will play itunes movies in 4K HDR but not DV/Atmos. That was also the case with the Firestick last October, not sure if things have advanced since then.
Wow. I've just stumbled on this forum and I had no idea that ATV was now available on my Roku 4k SS+. Thank you for that little nugget of info, that's saved me from having to shell out for another ATV box. So chuffed! :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom