Renovation + Cinema Room - Starts 4/1/16

gpt

The time has finally come for me to start my home cinema DIY post!

The build (digging) starts on the 4/1/16 – 2 Weeks away! So I feel now is the time to start making decisions about exactly what I want from the interior with the advice of you good fellow members

Firstly I have attached a picture of the current layout, and the new layout which I’ve done my best to put together with “sweet home 3d” software. You will notice a lot of rooms are moving about. We only moved into the property in September and the reason for the build was mainly the kitchen, it needs doing, and it would be a lot better on the back of the house. Fortunately for me, this created an opportunity for a cinema room (which was always my first priority ;) ). So… The kitchen is being made into a 6m x 3m room with a dining table slap bang in the middle and sliding 3.5m bi fold door on the back – Sexy!. I will upload the design pics when I can but these are currently with the builders. The cinema room/second living space is off this to the right 4m x 3m, a perfect rectangle. The lounge is being moved into the old kitchen where an old fireplace that has been long covered up will be exposed and brought back to life with a nice log burner. The old lounge will become our nice big new bedroom. The old lounge was previously a garage conversion. The bedroom on the back was an extension to the property, hopefully this helps you to determine which walls are solid. In addition the walls around the bathroom are also solid for some reason. The property itself is over 200 yrs old and is a block and render bungalow construction

Current Kit

Kef Q 900, 600c, 300 Rears

Dali Ikon Sub

50” Sammy Plasma (5yrs old, cant remember the model number!)

Denon 4308

HTPC (half way through building)

Satellite box – VU+ Solo 2

Xbox 1

Future Buys

Extra TV For bedroom (above fire place)

Extra TV for lounge (above fire place) or Cinema room (exising tv in 1 of these rooms)

Additional VU+ solo

Projector

Projector Screen

Possible sound systems for both bedroom and living space – Must be wife friendly! (Unlike my kefs)

So far this is as far as my thought process has gone and over the next 2 weeks I will be putting in the research time to know exactly what I want from the internals, even more so because im working away and when lodging in a hotel I get plenty of time to do these things.

If someone can however address an initial concern for me – sound proofing!

You may have noticed that the cinema room backs onto a bedroom, namely my 18 month old sons. The current window in his room that adjoins the cinema room will be blocked up (with breeze block) and moved to the side. In order to satisfy the wife I HAD to put windows in the new cinema room. Naturally she wanted these facing the garden. As I told her the TV and future projection screen was going nowhere but the centre of the room, I have decided to place two narrow windows either side at the back and have kept the tv and screen on this wall to minimise glare. The disadvantage to this is my 3 front speakers are all pointing towards the lads bedroom. I have looked into the sound proofing and have decided building a stud wall away from the original external wall, insulating it, and 2 layers of sound shield plaster board seems the best way to do it. But how much am I realistically going to be able to protect his room from sound? The extension were doing is single storey, the floors throughout the property are concrete, and 2 of the walls in the cinema room will be external (the others being the kitchen and lads room). Can anyone cast any thoughts on the layout of the room in this regard and make any suggestions? The other thing, which may be a simple stupid question… but do I only need to protect the one wall? Obviously im not bothered about the external walls or the kitchen side. I was going to avoid putting any sockets on the back wall to try and keep it as sealed as possible. Would it have made any difference reversing the speaker layout and have the tv on the lads wall and speakers pointing towards the garden? Not the most wife friendly option but if it’s a necessary step it will have to be considered

I will also next be looking into cabling and lighting. It is likely the projector and screen may be a future buy depending on how things go to budget but I need to do as much as possible now to plan for their future installs. Having never owned one before any advice here as and when would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to post any other nifty ideas or comment on the existing. The reason for the post wasn’t so much a show off as it is on getting the input from all the people with a wealth of experience, it is all appreciated! I will post pictures as I go and hopefully come Apr/May I will have some sort of a finished product!

Thanks All

Pete

Attachments

• 104_NAT130307_FLP_00_0000_max_600x600.JPG
    104_NAT130307_FLP_00_0000_max_600x600.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 226
  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 227

Cocksure

In addition the walls around the bathroom are also solid for some reason. The property itself is over 200 yrs old and is a block and render bungalow construction

That's because it properly built :) give me an old house any day over a modern one. 200 years from now your house will still be standing, wouldn't like to bet that on a modern one :laugh:

As daft as this might sound, have you conceder your door placement into the room in regards where the speakers are going? I mucked up on this with my first build, didn't realise to the end when i was fitting the speakers that the door opened up onto a front speaker!

Windows arn't really an issue, just because you need to fit one doesn't mean you have to put glass in them :D which can be easily changed when it comes to selling.

If someone can however address an initial concern for me – sound proofing!

Sound proofing or rather to do well is basically a git to do. A hole the size of a key hole will wipe out a good chunk of your sound proofing.

Having the speakers facing away from the bedroom will help some what as the main sound waves are going away from that wall, but you will still have issues. To do it well can cost a lot of money, and the bass is the biggest issue.

In an ideal world you want a 6 inch air gap between the bedroom wall and your sound proofing material, then use 2 inch mineral wool at 46/47 kg per metre cubed density, then two layers of sound block plasterboard (think its the blue board), making sure that the top plasterboard over laps the joints behind it of the 1st layer, and no gaps anywhere.

Of course this will not stop the sound getting out via the door and along to the bedroom that way, but you can only go so far unless you get into big money, but then again the door opens onto the kitchen so this shouldn't really be an issue

PS amazing plans, thought at first you must have paid a fortune for them

Last edited:

gpt

Thanks for the response. Soud proofing that one wall doesn't sound too difficult and if I don't build anything onto that wall what so ever, hopefully the soundproofing will work well. Or is it literally pi**ing in the wind?

Yes I did think about the door situation between the kItchen and cinema room. I'm considering a sliding or bi fold solution as ideally I don't want doors opening into either room. Sliding would be best but I want them to feel solid and smooth!

And the plans aren't that great :p I just tried to do things the best way possible. All the kitchens waterworks back on to the bathroom so easy for the drains. The bedroom move still gives me access to the ensuite. Still can't wait to expose the old chimney as well. 3.5m bi fold onto the gardens just going to be awesome. Cinema room is just the icing on a super sweet cake, just want to do it all right!

Cocksure

Thanks for the response. Sound proofing that one wall doesn't sound too difficult and if I don't build anything onto that wall what so ever, hopefully the soundproofing will work well. Or is it literally pi**ing in the wind?

Nope its worth doing, its just that doing it well is hard, even a poorly fitted one will make a difference. Besides in 10 to 15 years you will be wanting to escape in there to get away from the noise coming from your sons bedroom. :laugh:

Its one of those jobs were you need to give very clear instructions to your builder and keep a very close eye on (which they will love you for :mad:)

Yes I did think about the door situation between the kItchen and cinema room. I'm considering a sliding or bi fold solution as ideally I don't want doors opening into either room. Sliding would be best but I want them to feel solid and smooth!

That's easily done whichever option you go for, doors have come on a long way in the past 20 years or so. Lots of options out their to in regards how they work, sliding into a wall, along a wall, heck you could even have them drop down from the ceiling!

In an ideal world you would fit something like a uPVC sliding door which would give you a nice air tight seal so seriously reducing sound leakage from the room, but good luck with that :rotfl:

You can get good results with bi fold/sliding doors (though it can be harder), just make sure whatever door type you go for is nice and dense with as few air gaps as possible.

And the plans aren't that great :p I just tried to do things the best way possible. All the kitchens waterworks back on to the bathroom so easy for the drains. The bedroom move still gives me access to the ensuite. Still can't wait to expose the old chimney as well. 3.5m bi fold onto the gardens just going to be awesome. Cinema room is just the icing on a super sweet cake, just want to do it all right!

Compared to mine.......................:(

Sounds like you will end up with a stunning house, don't show me any pics though as it will just make me jealous, and i'm not nice when that happens ;)

On the up side (for me at least :D) I dont envy you all the mess, noise, ...................

I dont know how far you want to take things, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to soundproof the other walls as well. You dont need to have an air gap like the first wall and construction is far easier/cheaper, but that's up to you.

The beauty of sound proofing is that it gives excellent heat insulation at the same time, the same cant be said of heat insulation. Mineral wool has better heat insulation properties than kingspan and is cheaper to buy, but can cost more to fit and cant be used in all the same places as kingspan.

I dont know what you are doing with wall insulation, but personally i find will insulated walls make a bigger difference than roof insulation does. It all comes down to how far do you want to go..........

Last edited:

ollyitfc

I'm in the process of soundproofing... your welcome to look at my thread, or drop a message. It's my first attempt at anything like this. I should have the second plasterboard layer up on 4th Jan, so the (sound)proof will be in the pudding. It's not that difficult...but ask me how effective it is when I've fired the sub up! I used 15mm standard board, topped with 19mm plank plasterboard. This is what I was advised to use from a studio builder. 100mm rockwool behind the board, and a sound deadening glue sandwiched between....and loads of acoustic sealant!

Cocksure

I'm in the process of soundproofing... your welcome to look at my thread, or drop a message. It's my first attempt at anything like this. I should have the second plasterboard layer up on 4th Jan, so the (sound)proof will be in the pudding. It's not that difficult...but ask me how effective it is when I've fired the sub up! I used 15mm standard board, topped with 19mm plank plasterboard. This is what I was advised to use from a studio builder. 100mm rockwool behind the board, and a sound deadening glue sandwiched between....and loads of acoustic sealant!

ooooooh your doing the method i did when i lived in a terraced back to back (bar 4" were i used 2" wool), i'll be very interest in your results when you are done :) It knocked about 40 db off the sound when i measured mine. I would expect you to do better

Build looks of the highest quality and just like i did, you have gone mad with the acoustic glue :rotfl:

Last edited:

gpt

Definitely looks good stuff. Thanks for the replies guys, all exactly what i need to know and will be looking at it in some more detail shortly!. For now its off for my festive scoop!. Have a good xmas everyone! Will get some "before photos" up soon and start to show the progress of it all as it happens

Cheers

gpt

It begins!

Attachments

• 20160104_161033.jpg
    20160104_161033.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 171

Cocksure

It begins!

Thats clearly a fake picture...........should be rivers of mud with a nice lake to set it all off :(

gpt

Haha its all sand here. The house is 200 yrs old and the main footings go about ....oooh.... 3 bricks down! Lol. Concrete goes in on thursday

Cocksure

main footings go about ....oooh.... 3 bricks down! Lol. Concrete goes in on thursday

must be in a well to do area then. We just make do with one brick up north here in Leeds. :D

Last edited:

gpt

must be in a well to do area then. We just make do with one brick up north here in Leeds. :D

Im north too. Crewe isnt as far as leeds but the footballs consideraby worse ;)

gpt

Footings going in

Attachments

• 20160108_160032.jpg
    20160108_160032.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 88

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom